Your thoughts on dual bladder wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My UTD/GUE dive buddies do not like dual bladder wings. John Chatterton advocates them as redundant buoyancy. I always look at them and think that if a puncture is strong enough to go through the outershell as well as the inner bladder then would it really spare the second dual bladder?

Is it just a feel good gizmo or has it really saved anyone?

Your thoughts please ...

They were popular for a while and eventually got a bad reputation because of multiple accidents/incidents where the power inflator stuck open -- a common problem -- and the diver couldn't figure out which bladder was doing it.

Then for a while the idea was that you didn't connect the power inflator on the right (backup) side, but the problem there is that in a runaway descent without a safe bottom it's not always possible to orally inflate quickly enough.

I've got an unused hollis dual bladder wing I'd part with for a reasonable price if you'd like to check one out :).

When i see GUE/UTD divers cooling off by sitting in wash tubs, because they're wearing drysuits in tropical conditions - I'm more amenable to the benefits of redundant buoyancy BCDs.

Intelligently balanced rigs do solve most problems without any significant need for redundancy. Diver ability and appropriate equipment configuration can ensure that a safe ascent can be conducted given buoyancy failure.

However, there's an eventual limit to how much gas you jump in with and still be balanced. Some might argue that's CCR territory though. Redundant bladder BCDs provide a simple resolution in those scenarios, if you're using open circuit.

They were popular for a while and eventually got a bad reputation because of multiple accidents/incidents where the power inflator stuck open -- a common problem -- and the diver couldn't figure out which bladder was doing it.

Then for a while the idea was that you didn't connect the power inflator on the right (backup) side, but the problem there is that in a runaway descent without a safe bottom it's not always possible to orally inflate quickly enough.

The risks of leaving the redundant inflator connected have been known for a very long time... and it's been common practice in technical diving to keep the backup LPI disconnected, until needed, for equally as long.

Where accidents have happened... and the latest one was within the last year... it's due to divers either being incorrectly / insufficiently trained, or failing to apply the procedures they were trained to use.

Not having the backup LPI connected does not presume the diver has to orally inflate. Connecting an LPI is a skill that (should be) mastered in Open Water training.

When i see GUE/UTD divers cooling off by sitting in wash tubs, because they're wearing drysuits in tropical conditions - I'm more amenable to the benefits of redundant buoyancy BCDs.

Intelligently balanced rigs do solve most problems without any significant need for redundancy. Diver ability and appropriate equipment configuration can ensure that a safe ascent can be conducted given buoyancy failure.

However, there's an eventual limit to how much gas you jump in with and still be balanced. Some might argue that's CCR territory though. Redundant bladder BCDs provide a simple resolution in those scenarios, if you're using open circuit.
Use al80s. Problem solved. No need for a drysuit.

Isnt it now 'standard' for drysuit use?

I see GUE / UTD types weekly in drysuit using AL80s.

(I'm with you in principle... AL80s plus balanced rig is fine for me)
I did my tech 1 in a wetsuit and I semi-routinely do those dives today wet.

I don't know why those loonies dive dry when it's a bajillion degrees out.

I've got a lift bag that has a dump valve on the top. I can inflate, and then control the bouncy with the top dump valve. I doubt I'll ever have a wing failure requiring this alternate, but it rolls up nice and compact on my plate, and provides a completely redundant lift source.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom