Your thoughts on buying a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to buy my first computer. I want a wrist model, don't particularly need air integration and would like to start at the lower end of the scale - price wise. Has anyone used any of the following that I'm looking at: Genesis React Pro; Aeris Manta; Tusa IQ-750 (Element II) OR IQ-700 (DC Hunter); Hollis DG-02? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Not to make things any more diffucult, I firmly believe this nitrox computer, which is marketed by several companies (manufactured by Seiko) is by far the best bang for the buck. You would never outgrow, as it has many tec computer functions, such as gauge mode, Etc. Good luck!

Tusa DC Hunter Wrist Dive Computer (IQ-700)

Last edited:
Sounds like a winning endorsement. That's one of the ones I've been looking at - and the price is right! Thank you.

Agree you can't go wrong with the computer in the above link.

I had one of it's clones for a while. Algorithm is typical Buhlman (deco stops start very shallow) but that's a non issue for recreational diving.
A little on the conservative side but not stupidly so.

I'm going to buy my first computer. I want a wrist model, don't particularly need air integration and would like to start at the lower end of the scale - price wise. Has anyone used any of the following that I'm looking at: Genesis React Pro; Aeris Manta; Tusa IQ-750 (Element II) OR IQ-700 (DC Hunter); Hollis DG-02? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

To simplify your shopping:

1. Shortlist the brands/models based on the algorithm you prefer, depending on the kind of diving you do - liberal (Pelagic DSAT) or conservative (Pelagic Z+, RGBM, Buhlmann ZHL-16C).

Liberal
Pelagic DSAT brands - Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis, Genesis

Middle of the road
Buhlmann ZH-L8 - UWATEC, SubGear

Conservative
Pelagic Z+ (similar to RGBM) - Hollis and Oceanic (as dual algorithm), TUSA IQ-750, TUSA Zen series
RGBM - Suunto, Mares, new Cressi Leonardo
Buhlmann ZHL-16C - Apeks, older TUSAs, older Cressis, Scubapro

2. Decide if you want watch-type or a wrist-top model.

3. Narrow down the list based on available brands in your area and your price target.

Hope this helps.

I have a Nitek Duo, same as the Tusa DC Hunter. Very good computer, a pleasure to use though conservative. My primary computer is an Oceanic VT3, previously was an Oceanic Pro Plus then a Pro Plus 2. Personally, I like the Pelagic algorithm.

I'm sure you'd be happy with the Tusa.

Good diving, Craig

Not to make things any more diffucult, I firmly believe this nitrox computer, which is marketed by several companies (manufactured by Seiko) is by far the best bang for the buck. You would never outgrow, as it has many tec computer functions, such as gauge mode, Etc. Good luck!

Leisure Pro hasn't had the Tusa IQ-700 available for many months, remember it's a discontinued model. With LP it's always good to confirm stock by telephone before placing an order.

If anyone does find the IQ-700 available somewhere please let us know, I'd like one too.

Leisure Pro hasn't had the Tusa IQ-700 available for many months, remember it's a discontinued model. With LP it's always good to confirm stock by telephone before placing an order.

If anyone does find the IQ-700 available somewhere please let us know, I'd like one too.

If you're really dead-set on the discontinued TUSA IQ-700, you could also check out its brothers -- the Dive Rite Nitek Duo (discontinued), the Apeks Quantum, the Cressi Archimede II, Zeagle N2ITION and the IST Data+ GP-3000. They're all made by Seiko from the same platform.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you're really dead-set on the discontinued TUSA IQ-700, you could also check out its brothers -- the Dive Rite Nitek Duo (discontinued), the Apeks Quantum, the Cressi Archimede II, Zeagle N2ITION and the IST Data+ GP-3000. They're all made by Seiko from the same platform.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, good recommendations. I wanted the IQ-700 to use as a backup for a dive vacation. The others all seem to be much more expensive or won't fit in the DSS bungee mount. Right now I'm using an old Zeagle Status for a backup for which it works well. And it uses the same battery as my main computer.

Thanks, good recommendations. I wanted the IQ-700 to use as a backup for a dive vacation. The others all seem to be much more expensive or won't fit in the DSS bungee mount. Right now I'm using an old Zeagle Status for a backup for which it works well. And it uses the same battery as my main computer.

My Nitek Duo is in the DSS bungee mount, I believe the Cressi doesn't fit

Back
Top Bottom