Your thoughts about visiting the Egyptian Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe he got that false impression the way we in America are--by watching video of 100,000 people in the streets throwing rocks at each other and setting buildings on fire....

Point taken. However, there are some 80-90,000,000 Egyptians and the majority of them are not in the streets throwing rocks at each other and setting buildings on fire (so far as I am aware).

Equally, however, there are people (admittedly not 100,000) in the streets throwing rocks at each other and setting buildings (and recently parked police cars with people inside them) on fire in certain districts of Belfast.

It's been 14 1/2 years since the Good Friday Agreement and sectarian and nationalist violence and division in Northern Ireland still includes MPs working subject to ongoing death threats and police and civil servants subject to public attacks and attempted murders.

I am neither in Egypt nor Northern Ireland so all I can comment on with any authority is the manner in which the situations in the two countries is being portrayed by the British media. To that end, I note that, at the very least, anyone referring to Northern Ireland as a "failed state" would be challenged to defend their position. That is no longer the case for Egypt and is a point which I make neither in defense of the opposition nor apology for the new 'democratic' government. Rather, I point this out in answer to Crowley's request was for exposition as to how events are being reported and perceived outside of Egypt.

I've finally joined a BSAC club in Bristol which has run a Red Sea trip once a year for the last few years. The 2013 dive planning meeting is planned for later this month and I'll be interested to see if there is enough support for their usual exclusive charter of a liveaboard or if numbers are down this year (the problem with Club diving being that you need to arrange large group trips months in advance so my usual plan of 'wait and see' and last-minute booking isn't an option and even I would be reluctant to put down a lot of money right now for a non-refundable trip to Egypt in, say, October or November 2013).

I'm in Sharm at the moment. No trouble here. Everything is calm as you could wish for.
Great diving too, off to the Thistlegorm in a day or so.
:wink:
Same here in Hurghada,no problems what-so-ever..great diving too. 2 turtles and a Napoleon today at Erg Sabina :) The water is a steady 22c and conditions are calm for the time of year,although it will be windy tomorrow.

We dived the Thistlegorm.
Two dives, first one around the outside of the wreck, second through the cargo holds.
Best dives I've ever done.
Best bit?
We were the only boat there.
Maybe 12 divers with the wreck to ourselves.
Fantastic.

There is a mindset within US that wants to believe that any country that does not have a US backed dictator is a "failed state." Iran was repeatedly called a "failed state" after the Mullahs took over in 1979. Today Iran's contribution to science is increasing faster than any other nation in the world. PressTV - Iran scientific progress one of world's fastest You will rarely every see these kind of reports on mainstream American media. This is because TV audience decreases when you confront or challenge popular beliefs and increases when you fortify them. Afghanistan under Karzai is truly a failed state but will never be referred to as such because US imposed government is still there. The fact that approximately 17000 civilians have lost their lives under this government has never made it a failed state. This whole commentary about post Mubarak Egypt being a failed state also stems from this psyche. I would not hesitate going there and having fun.

My thoughts on going to the egyptian red sea..
My thought is Ill be going there for the first two weeks of july given 2 conditions

1. They dont stop us at the border
2. I get my vacation at the requested two weeks..

What people are missing is that western tourists have traditionally been treated as cash cows by Egyptian tourism and its diving industry. If anyone hasn't noticed there has been a prolonged recession in Western Europe. Countries like Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Greece have terrible financial problems and high unemployment, particularly amongst young people. The UK has had a double dip recession and just avoided it becoming treble dip. Brits are cutting back on luxury items like holidays.
Combined to this they switch on the news and see stories from Egypt of revolutions, tourist kidnappings, violent demonstrations, death sentences on football rioters, lynchings, bedouin crime , ex dictators being put on trial, etc. This hasn't put me off and I've been to Egypt several times a year over the last few years, but it puts others off- they either sit behind wire at an all inclusive compound in Sharm or just go elsewhere in the world.
If Egypt was genuinely concerned about finding work for its people it would kick out the many illegal freelance instructors/ dive shop managers eking out a living on tourist visas (no work permits). Sadly there is no sign of this happening this side of the parliamentary elections in October- too bad!

Now hows that for a revival..
But since it was revived.. I did get those two weeks I requested off, so Ill be in Egypt for two weeks of diving in july :wink:
(flights, hotel and 10 days of diving already paid - will be more days added to that though)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom