Your Regulator of Choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's actually a safer reply than some of the ones I was thinking!!

If she does read it, best regards to Mrs. LT!! :D

DS always sell their brand as the best (specially if they represent big brands such as Aqualung and ScubaPro). Yet, I've always wondered at an unbias level, really the technicalities on the differences between brands (stuff like the manufacters quality, the insides works etc..)
I thought about it and will say, every reg I've rented or now own are all good reg's. Maybe lucky, don't know. I would tend to think all with only a few exceptions, which I don't know about are good.
I was lucky enough to be able to borrow an older Conshelf 14 and was amazed at how well it breathed.

Whether you like all metal or not, adjustable 2nd or not etc. come into play when choosing by your style or specific use in diving.
That brings me to thinking the more important aspects of how well they are tuned & maintained. I think these aspects may be of the greater importance than brand specific.

completely agree...before i took a hiatus, i had the mk25/s600 as my primary and an oceanic sp5/alpha7 for a back up....i used the A7 combo while i was in guam for 4 months and that reg performed beautifully at all depths...as good as the mk25/s600? no but very good for what i thought i was gonna experience with an entry level reg.

I have been servicing regulators since 1998 as a technician in a a dive shop. I have seen a high volume of regulators and some of the regular issues that occur. I value a regulator from the service and a design standpoint. My personal favorite combination of 1st and 2nd stage are a brand hybrid. Oceanic DX3 or DX4 1st stage and a Mares metal 2nd stage either a Proton Metal or Abyss. The 1st stages have dry environmental seals and DIN connections. Trust me I own or have owned lots and lots of regulators of all manufactures and from that I have built the above combination into what I use for open water training, fun ocean dives, extreme cold water, and pretty deep stuff. You cannot get the Oceanic 1st stages anymore but they just keep ticking. My 2 cents.

I use only Posieden Jetstream and love them. I have been on dives where divers with some of the top of the line regs froze up and would free flow because the water was too cold. Plus it is so easy to adjust them to your own breathing style. I like mine light pull so I could even use them while sleeping. Just good stuff.

HOG's all the way...got to really dive them for the first time this weekend and loved them, very solid, never free flowed, had them all the way at 95 feet and didnt notice a bit of difference in breathing resistance!

I currently use the Mares Abyss MR42T, and it is an excellent reg. The only reg I'd trade for is Scubapro's MK25/G200 set. I've used it once, and it's absolutely incredible.

I have just finished a week of diving with my Scubapro mk25/A700 and must say it the best reg I have used. breathed well for every dive I did. Being a metal second I seem to be able to get a tiny sip of fresh water on occasion. It make the dry throat go away. it also breathes very well when inverted, very dry!

While I haven't been diving very long, I absolutely love my Aeris Ion. Hated the Sherwood Brut that I rented and some old Scubapro reg as well. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to use one of the $700+ regs to see what I'm missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom