Your Regulator of Choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DS always sell their brand as the best (specially if they represent big brands such as Aqualung and ScubaPro). Yet, I've always wondered at an unbias level, really the technicalities on the differences between brands (stuff like the manufacters quality, the insides works etc..)

I thought that asking it in this huge forum would probably be the best choice, so here it goes.

Why do you choose to dive with that regulator and why don't you dive with any of the other brands?

I personally dive with an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme, and have dived with an Apeks xtx 200 without noticing any true differences (maybe because being only an advance nitrox or not having that much experience I can't tell any differences), but I've always felt safer diving with Aqualung, specifically because where I live you only get DS that repair AL, SP or Tusa.

Ok, I'll go first. My favourite regulator is the Zeagle DSV. I've owned/used regs from a lot of different manufacturers, and it has come out as my favourite. The reasons are it is a high performance regulator, for a reasonable price, and has earned my faith/trust with hundreds of dives and never had so much as a hiccup. I have 4 Zeagle regs now, 2 DSV's and 2 of the higher end Flathead VI's, and I can't feel any difference at all, so if I was to replace them all for some reason, I would save the money and go with DSV's over the Flatheads.

I love my Apex XTX 200 regulator. It is very comfortable in my mouth, even though I have braces. The breathability at all depths is consistent and easy, and I love its dependibility. Conversely, I have an Oceanic Delta, and I would not wish for my worst enemy to dive with that piece of (expletive deleted).

My first regulator was a double hose US Diver Royal Aqua Master bought in 69. When I bought my first single hose regulator in the 70's it was a US Diver Conshelf XII then I started buying the XIV's.
I have been diving with the conshelf's for the past 35 years or so. I don't see a reason to change now. I still have and dive with every regulator I have ever bought. still able to get parts. The double hose regulator included, The parts I buy for the double hose regulator now are better then the ones that were in it new. I bet those reg will go another 35 years.

I still dive my 70's era SP 109's. Upgrades in some, others OEM. Darn fine working, but I will say that the weight is now a consideration with air travel... dang, just might finally need to get new regs...

I have a 1959 USD DA Aqua-Master double hose (converted to PRAM), several USD Conshelfs, a USD Calypso J and a few USD Aquarius regs. I prefer the USD regs because of their simplicity and utter reliability. In 46 years of diving, I've never had a USD reg fail me. I service my own regs and the USD regulators can be completely rebuilt on my kitchen table in about an hour's time.

I recently bought a brand new USD Conshelf 14 and I would have to say it is probably my favorite of all my regs.

There's a lot of input from very experienced divers here already but I'll add my two cents. I really love my Apeks XTX20. Its sometimes marketed as a "beginner" reg but I have used it in many various dive conditions and see no reason to spend more money on a higher end Apeks, unless you want an environmental seal for cold water (<50*F). I have used various other regs and also own a HOG. The HOG is a great deal and certainly comparable to the Apeks, but the Apeks is my favorite due to performance in rougher conditions and comfort.

Last edited:
I'm just getting into Diving and I use a Apex XTX50, better then the aqualung titan I used in class. So I am happy with my purchase.

I have Atomic Z2. I love it because it breathes very easily and I have used it in snow without a free flow. It did not even have a cold water kit on it. I was told that Atomic makes the best regs and I find it living up to the reputation. I dont know how it would compare with cubapro, Aqua Lung or Apeks.

MY favorites are a late 80's Sherwood Oasis + and my Scubapro Mk20/G500. A good reg will last many,many years. Diving these two in particular, I sometimes forget or at least it is not part of my conscious thought that I have a reg in my mouth. A reg that reminds me that it is there by being wet breathing or having any significant resistance is a poor reg in my book.

Back
Top Bottom