Your own definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification. I agree. the whole idea about recreational is that it is kept simple and training is held at that level.
I think we are both ont he same page.

Yeah... Though I do still consider technical diving to be recreational as well, just a different "branch" due to the training and approach needed to safely undertake dives beyond the current limitations/recommendations of recreational sport (NDL) diving.

Last edited:
Yes beyond the basic arena of training that is provided for ow and aow.

I'm in the simple "technical" = "overhead environment" camp, whether the overhead is physical or virtual. And "overhead" requires at the very minimum, additional training and planning, and often additional equipment.

I meant to post this earlier, but couldn't remember who's lecture it was I heard it said:

"There is no such thing as recreational cave diving...all cave divers should be prepared to be explorers"
-Brett Hemphill

Video: https://youtu.be/WEU5daj6Q28?t=3m59s

Last edited:
Unless a diver is being paid all diving is recreational. Diving itself is technical with or without deco or overhead, those magnify the technical nature of diving, and these days require additional training. Hence the modern day definition. Deco and cave diving wasn't called technical diving 30+ years ago. Those divers back then were pioneers the lessons cavers learn today is written with their "blood".

"recreational" is not in opposition to "commercial" in this context. Within non-commercial diving, there is scientific diving, exploration, and sport diving to name a few. While the dictionary definition of commercial would rule out those dives that are not paid, from this category, that does not mean that all other categories should fall into "recreational" by default. It isn't as cut a dry. Colloquially, "recreational diving" and "sport diving" are synonymous, and exclusive of other types of diving including "technical" diving specialties.

this is my opinion, of course.

Two words... "common usage". We all know what 'recreational diving' means.

Otherwise we could be arguing that technical diving might include some complex springboard maneuvers at the swimming pool...

Now that we've discussed the definitions of technical and recreational can we move on to what DIR is ? :D

Some might use a collapsible snorkel for any dive where there is/may be a prolonged surface swim. If you're essentially walking up to a cave entrance, then no, that's a useless waste of space. There is some gear that is specific to tech, like deco bottles, but other gear is just gear, with the potential to be used for tech., e.g. a mask or a computer with multiple gas management options.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 01:55 PM ----------

It cavern is technical, then is a collapsible snorkel tech gear? :)

Cavern Diver | PADI

Also, as I said before, "there is cavern training, and there is cavern training"

"recreational" is not in opposition to "commercial" in this context. Within non-commercial diving, there is scientific diving, exploration, and sport diving to name a few. While the dictionary definition of commercial would rule out those dives that are not paid, from this category, that does not mean that all other categories should fall into "recreational" by default. It isn't as cut a dry. Colloquially, "recreational diving" and "sport diving" are synonymous, and exclusive of other types of diving including "technical" diving specialties.

this is my opinion, of course.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am mine, which to restate is, if someone isn't diving as part of their job; divers going cave diving during their spare time, leisure time, they are diving as a recreational activity. Call it anything else you wish but it still recreation, done for the fun, enjoyment, or pleasure it brings to participant. It is all of course a matter of opinion, but words do have meaning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom