Your opinion on this setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SinkFloridaSink

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a GoPro lighting setup. I usually shoot video with the 3+ Silver .
Below is the tray and lights i'm thinking about getting. I can build the whole setup, minus camera for $280ish.

Please let me know if you think there's something that won't work. More or less light, etc.

Thank you in advance.

2 Brinyte DIV01V lights (1000 lumiens each, 120 degree light, 2.5hr run time) $60/each
The lights grabbed my attached due to the price, brightness and burn time.
4 26650 5000mah batteries.

20150327120841_34348.jpg

The tray below (plus attachments for mounting the lights):
$_57.JPG

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 130
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
The specifications for the lights make it look like a good deal, even compared to the Archon lights. I'd get rid of the crappy filter on the photo (if that's your setup).

The specifications for the lights make it look like a good deal, even compared to the Archon lights. I'd get rid of the crappy filter on the photo (if that's your setup).
While I don't have any suggestions or advice for the original poster, this comment reminded me of a dumb question I have. Will using a lighting setup yield better and more accurate color than using the filters that are available for GoPro?

While I don't have any suggestions or advice for the original poster, this comment reminded me of a dumb question I have. Will using a lighting setup yield better and more accurate color than using the filters that are available for GoPro?

There is no substitute for light. Strong light will trump weak filtered light any day. However, lights are only good for a few feet so if you're taking wide angle distance shots then you need the filter.

There is no substitute for light. Strong light will trump weak filtered light any day. However, lights are only good for a few feet so if you're taking wide angle distance shots then you need the filter.

This is correct. We also offer a variety of mounting options including a modular tray and lighting system.

Thanks!
Dano

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

[video=youtube;DthPL7-fC1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DthPL7-fC1Y[/video]

M2HTCT-2.jpg

I almost always use filter when shooting with lights. I use the URPRO SWCY (shallow water filter ) from Snake River Prototyping. Check out any of my videos as example of the color. No post editing of color in 99.9% of my videos.

I just purchased a Sidekick Duo (spot/flood) from Lightandmotion.com. Small, compact, lightweight and very powerful. Check it out.

It also has a premium price for being marketed as a GoPro accessory. Other wide lights, even with more powerful emitters and that can mount to most generic arms, sell for half the price.

It also has a premium price for being marketed as a GoPro accessory. Other wide lights, even with more powerful emitters and that can mount to most generic arms, sell for half the price.

I am looking to get one. Do you have specific items or links you could provide??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom