Your opinion of seaspace 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDH

Reaction score
Well we just got home and my opinion is that it could of, should of been better. It is half the size it used to be with some empty bouths. 95% of the show is travel with 5% gear. I know you can't make business come but something needs to be done before the show is extinct. I used to enjoy going, even going Saturday and Sunday and seeing all my friends. Well I just can't do that this year.

This was my first Seaspace experience so I really had no basis for comparison. I had read that others thought it to be lacking in recent years. Frankly, I thought they were just being nostalgic fuddy-duddies.

I volunteered to work at one of the events and I met some very nice people. The REST of the experience was lacking.

The Friday night "Meet the Speakers" pool party was just plain scary. There were 4-5 people there who DIDN'T look like they were ex-Woodstockers. (If you are a ScubaBoard person AND you were there, please know that I consider you to be in the group of 4-5 aforementioned individuals.) :)

I kept waiting for the bong to be passed around before they struck up a lively rendition of Kumbaya.

But I digress...

Saturday in the exhibit hall was interesting. As previously posted, most of the booths were travel related. That part didn't appeal to me because I pretty much know where I want to vacation already.

I'm not swayed by a flashy exhibit booth or by a free refrigerator magnet. But I'm sure that companies and/or travel agencies go to SeaSpace because it's lucrative, so SOMEONE must be booking trips based on free koozies.

The photo exhibit by the Houston club was phenomenal. There were at least a dozen photos that were breath-taking.

What I would have liked to see would be more gadgets/t-shirts/etc for sale. As cheesy as it sounds, I LIKE many of the "orange shovel" items that are marketed to divers. And who can say no to another dive t-shirt???

Overall, it was a fun experience but I don't know if I'll feel the need to do it again.

NDH:
Well we just got home and my opinion is that it could of, should of been better. It is half the size it used to be with some empty bouths. 95% of the show is travel with 5% gear. I know you can't make business come but something needs to be done before the show is extinct. I used to enjoy going, even going Saturday and Sunday and seeing all my friends. Well I just can't do that this year.

NDH: The same with most dive "shows" these days, including DEMA. We think of them as the 3 T's-Travel, Training and Trinkets. A waste of time and money for many manufacturers and distributors.

The same speakers on the same circuit year after year.

On the other hand there are still good regional events where dive equipment is featured: www.underwatersports.com

www.scubatoys.com just hosted a great dive with Oceanic. A much better use of time IMHO.

Hemlon:
GASP...what has happened to my avatar picture?????????

Nothing...you just changed your hair color a bit. :wink:

I was crushed! Jeff Bozanic apparently had something come up and had to leave early so moved his presentation up from tomorrow morning to this morning (while I was in DAN O2 training). My wife just happened to see him while he was leaving and struck up a conversation with Jeff "Inspiration Cave Rebreathing Instructing Master" Bozanic. I thought that was too cool to hear that she got to meet him, but man was I bummed I missed his seminar.

At least it was a neat experience and getting to hear Warren Miller's talk on the Evolution/Inspiration was sorta neat - though many of the questions asked, even in the technical CCR seminar were very non-technical.

Still a unique experience - and have the IMAX film in about another hour.

Ho-Hum....but at least I got to see some friends that I usually only get to see once a year....half the size of the one 2 years ago...it was told to us last year that it was going to come back bigger and better....oh well still had a good time...

Hemlon:
GASP...what has happened to my avatar picture?????????

:11: We been Hacked !!!
'Looks like ScubaBoard has gone all ""Shallow Hal "" :D

'Gotta say that your new avitar is pretty cute but I bet it can't hold a candle to the real thing :eyebrow:

Just not happnin'

Look at me though... Yea Baby !!! a He Man !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom