your observations on gratuity please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kirwoodd:
And last of all....
HEY! I just realized, everyone talking SMACK about tipping (myself at the very top of that list) did you tip SCUBABOARD?!?!?!?! D'OH! I didnt. :shakehead
:hmmm:

kirwoodd:
So I just signed up for the annual membership.
happy023.gif

Rafael:
Captain you have a good point here, people feel they are paying good money for the boat ride, but it is really good money? . . .

That's a subject that has been debated ad nauseam here and on other boards. Let's not go there.:wink: Don't want to get penalized for a thread hijack!:D

IMO, we should be thankful that Dive Charter Ops exist in New England. It certainly has to be a labor of love for a Captain to charter his/her vessel for diving (fishing is another story). Personally, from an economic position, I do not do it because it's not worth it.

OK; . . . walk off 10 yards against me for the hijack:shakehead . . . Sorry!:light:

Have a Great Weekend All!
Capt. Dennis St Germain

OK, Captain, you are right, i just wanted to let people know the reasons why i think tipping is a good thing.

I think tipping is a load of BS but I do it anyway most times... guilty conscious I guess. Easy way to get tax free cash (yeah, your SUPPOSED to report it...).

When I pay for a charter I am paying for a service. Bring me out somewhere and bring me back. Helping with gear is great and a way to get repeat customers however a tip shouldn't be expected. If someone gives me great service, I repay them by being a repeat customer. If someone goes out of their way, they get a tip. If you're running a charter operation and get ticked off that you aren't getting tips, here's one for you: increase your prices if you're missing that extra cash.

Tipping in restaurants is a whole different topic. If establishments paid their staff actual wages there would be no need for tips. I was in Spain several years ago and someone at our table left a tip. The waiter actually ran out of the restaurant after us to give us the money back. He thought we forgot it on the table. Oh, and why should the cost of what's being delivered have any sort of impact on what you leave for a tip? I thought it was for the service?

In so far as splitting the check, if you all got roughly the same cost items just divide by the number of people (and add in the tip if you swing that way). This isn't fair to people who don't drink when drinks go around so in those cases (or when somebody orders the fillet and you got pasta) pay for what you purchased. This only makes sense.

I notice you tip so that in its self weakens the argument for not tipping.
Look at it thia way;Captains can't afford to pay a livable wage to crew because they make very little money from diving. I pay $90-$100 boat fee. ten people aboard to go 30 mile out of marina. Cost of gas for the trip $650. cost of Capt.service $80-$100. Cost of marina $unknown. pay dm or many cases two deck hands. profit = negative.

I'm agree with you, the charter business in not a business, is more a noble thing to do, is not for the money that is for sure.

But now the argument is going to be "well they should increase the prices"

And after that will be i do not tip caz the prices are too expensive, people who doesn't tip will always find an argument to avoid tipping.

bluenose:
ten people aboard to go 30 mile out of marina. Cost of gas for the trip $650.

At $3.00 per gallon, that would be 216 gallons to go 60 miles round trip......0.27 miles per gallon??????

I have been on several dive boats from Florida, Cozumel and Flower Gardens. On all of the boats I have been on the Captains are the only paid crew. All the divemasters and rest of crew including cooks and galley hands share the tips. It seems like the minimum to customerly tip is 10% and more if you had an especially good crew.

Scott5644:
At $3.00 per gallon, that would be 216 gallons to go 60 miles round trip......0.27 miles per gallon??????
I'm not sure what you have to pay for gas at the marinas where your from,
But here in Florida it's not the same price as it is at the station we fill our cars at.
Also, the cost to run a boat doesn't end with gas.
There is a thing called maintenance pluspayments on original purchase,and docking/ slip fees,advertising, insurance. The list goes on and on.
So, when it comes to tipping,I say,
Suck it up and tip for what the service is worth.
Because you can't afford to own a boat for what you pay to go out for.
And they take you right to where your going.

We were out on Atlantis Charters yesterday to the U853 (very cool wreck by the way--my first time on it--gangs of pilot fish at the safety stop) and the mate, Chris, was amazingly helpful. I think we all gave $20/ea. If someone is working their tush off and helping a lot, then they should be compensated accordingly. I have also been on trips where mates/DM seemed inconvenienced at your very existence and in those cases, I don't tip or just give a minimal tip ($5).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom