your observations on gratuity please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it a New England thing I wonder? I have several friends in the New England area they are just TIGHT with the tips. We get a $300 tab for dinner, we got good service, and they want to tip $20. Why? Because $20 is a lot of money, you dont need to do 20%. I disagree and make up the differance.

The fuel hony's at my marina pump gas ALL day long. They help people with plastic boats doc their boats without any damage, they fetch ice, they pump gas. Very few people tip. You just brought your $200,000 (or more) boat to the fuel doc, they kept your gell coat from scratching, you put $500 of gas in, and you cant throw the fuel honey $20? I dont get it.

<shrug>

kirwoodd:
Is it a New England thing I wonder? I have several friends in the New England area they are just TIGHT with the tips. We get a $300 tab for dinner, we got good service, and they want to tip $20. Why? Because $20 is a lot of money, you dont need to do 20%. I disagree and make up the differance.

See if your friends were truly "tight" they would not be getting a $300 tab for dinner. :D

RIOceanographer:
See if your friends were truly "tight" they would not be getting a $300 tab for dinner. :D

When I have a $300 dinner it's usually 20 bucks for a steak and the rest is spent on booze... :D

RIOceanographer:

LOL,
good point!
I meant after the split. So if you split that across 5 people, thats $60 each, then they all throw in $4 for the tip? No good.

And on a side note....
New Englanders frequently want to split the tab based on what was ordered. Are you kidding me? Just split it even and buck up. Its generally too small a differance to embarass your self over by asking to pay less.

Just one boys opinion.

I like this smiley
:fro:

I dived with Marina Divers in Phuket where the service from Neng, our DM, was absolutely brilliant. He assisted us all in kitting up and even went as far as putting on our fins for us. It was great, walk to the back of the boat, have someone put your fins on, tighten them up, and step into the big blue. Once we got back on board, our gear was stowed for us and a coke (or cool drink of your choice) was immediately placed in your hand. Needless to say we tipped Neng all the cash we had, our dive experience was worth every cent and quite a bit more.

What amazed me was how many people got off that boat without tipping at all. These guys bend over backwards day in and day out to make our diving experience memorable. If you've got the $ to holiday overseas, surely a decent tip shouldn't be that difficult to afford!!

Heres a tip:
- Always bend your knees when you ski -
Sorry, couldn't help myself :shakehead

I'm with the tipping for good service (DM and/or Capt.) group, if it's an acceptable custom in that region. Coz is a great example. Many jobs down there live off their tips as they make little to nothing in wage.

kirwoodd:
LOL,
good point!
I meant after the split. So if you split that across 5 people, thats $60 each, then they all throw in $4 for the tip? No good.

I figured, I was just busting your chops.

kirwoodd:
New Englanders frequently want to split the tab based on what was ordered. Are you kidding me?

That is definitely the standard way of doing it here. And as someone who doesn't drink that's just fine with me because my share of the tab is sometimes half what everyone else spent. You can't tell me it would be fair to expect me to throw in an equal share under those circumstances. Besides, it's how we New Englanders prove we have basic math skills. "Now, watch as I successfully divide the check in my head! Without a cell phone calculator!!!!" :D

I think most people simply feel that they are paying good money to be taken out "for a boat ride" and assume that crews are part of the service. Not making a judgement . . . just an observation.

Be safe and have fun,
Capt. Dennis St Germain[/QUOTE]

Captain you have a good point here, people feel they are paying good money for the boat ride, but it is really good money? if i'm not wrong a couple operators, good ones, went out of business this year, that i'm aware.

And like you said, it is the peoples choice to be there, i would if i could myself, but it will be nice if people Tip, maybe the charter boats should start placing a tip jar in the boat where every one can see it, every other place in the world i dove they do it maybe is time to bring this to New England.

RIO

You got a good point. When I go out with my workers. We order dinner. I drink a coke. and they drink about $450 in drinks alone. Call me whatever you want but I'm not paying more than my meal and drink plus tip.(15% of MY meal)
At a Xmas party, when I saw them ordering drinks left and right, I changed my order to a 2 lbs lobster and a couple of shrimp cocktails. They complained and and I told them to ease up on the drinks or I'll be ordering one for home as well. They got the point. Yeah, some of you may call it selfish, I call it fair.

RIOceanographer
did you say you do math in your head? That is black magic, you are clearly a witch and should be burned. :)

As for tipping the boat help, when I go out on my boat with friends I try to get a boat helper to lug stuff, when he comes with, tipping is not an option. You do it, or you dont go on the boat. Throw the poor college kid a twenty, I mean come on, its a free trip, tip him or go catch the next bus, express non stop to camp "kwityur*****en".

And last of all....
HEY! I just realized, everyone talking SMACK about tipping (myself at the very top of that list) did you tip SCUBABOARD?!?!?!?! D'OH! I didnt. :shakehead

Man, thats not cool, I get a lot of value listening to you guys fight over DIR, Oxygen Bars, reef hooks, bad movies, etc. So I just signed up for the annual membership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom