Your most-unusual critter from the Andaman Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I"m not sure why they call it that Kim...but that's it's name

Zebra-shark-02.jpg
I live and learn! :wink: I was always told they were leopard sharks...:D

Yes - these are great and I've seen/photographed many of them.

whitehead:
It is a Leopard shark - many fish have multiple common (local) names. ala AKA

In some well publisehed shark ID books the common name for the so often called "leopard shark" is actually zebra shark. In the end it's just a common name but it IS confusing...:D

I saw a pair of needle shrimp at Shark Point last week. Here's the larger one. I don't know how "unusual" they are, but I got a kick out of seeing something different at a site I've dived repeatedly.

it has 3 common names in regular usage, the two already mentioned before and the variegated shark (have probably spelt that wrong and to be honest i am not even sure what variegated means). common names are just common usage local names. interestingly the napolean wrasse is a good example it has 7 "recognized" common names.

its pity scientific names are so damned hard to pronounce and remember

saying that - after a scrawl through the internet i would agree (wholeheartedly) that internationally zebra shark seems to be most common of these common names which was a surprise. i live and learn

whitehead:
it has 3 common names in regular usage, the two already mentioned before and the variegated shark (have probably spelt that wrong and to be honest i am not even sure what variegated means). common names are just common usage local names. interestingly the napolean wrasse is a good example it has 7 "recognized" common names.

its pity scientific names are so damned hard to pronounce and remember

saying that - after a scrawl through the internet i would agree (wholeheartedly) that internationally zebra shark seems to be most common of these common names which was a surprise. i live and learn
However locally leopard shark seems to be the more common name, around Phuket IMO. Since my exposure to the real Leopard shark far predates my going to Thailand, I've found it somewhat amusing the confusion of the Zebra shark being called the Leopard shark.

It's a funny world :)

Quero:
I saw a pair of needle shrimp at Shark Point last week. Here's the larger one. I don't know how "unusual" they are, but I got a kick out of seeing something different at a site I've dived repeatedly.

I think the unusual thing about seeing urchin shrimps is that not many divers take time to look at black longspined sea urchins and actually try to stay away from them as well as they can. There are some beautiful urchin shrimps to be found at Richelieu Rock as well (on the South Side in the rubble/sand between 14-20 meter) and if you're lucky you may even come across a badger or urchin cling fish as well. :D

Quero:
I never knew that shrimps lived among those spines.

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/macruri/MACstegopontoniacommensalisen.htm

So next time I get to dive there, I'll take a closer look :)

BTW, I couldn't find them listed in Debelius' book.

MORE,MORE,MORE! We need more critters!!!

What about the yellow leaf scorpion fish at Surin Island a couple of years ago? Who has seen any shovelnose rays or even a bowmouth guitar fish recently? What about the tiny bubble shells in the very shallows of Ko Ha? What about orca sightings and false killer whales (pseudo orca's)? What about yellow ribbon eels (not blue or black ones)? What about giant angler fishes like the green one at Elephant Head, the white one at Richelieu and the rust-red one at Western Rocky? What about bull and other sharks (it's quite unusual to see other sharks than white tip, zebra or tawny nurse sharks)?

What about.....

Back
Top Bottom