Your most-unusual critter from the Andaman Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first season I was here (1999/2000), I was tour leader on a liveaboard. We would often have a couple of Japanese customers and the dive center always sent a Japanese DM for them. I remember them being obsessed with finding Purple Fire Gobies. At Fantasea Reef, the Japanese would dive a completely different direction to everyone else because the DM knew where to find the gobies. I first saw the elusive purple fire goby at Koh Bon at about 32m off the south side of the ridge, and I have to say it's a gorgeous little fish.

Purple Fire Goby

Bowmouth:
Just curious what your most unusual critter find was in the Andaman Sea. Only ONE animal is allowed and NO animal may be mentioned twice.:D

I'll start:

Purple "Rhinopias Aphanes" at Black Rock in Myanmar.

I'm soo jealous, it was SOOO rough when we went to Black Rock, we only made dive and got the heck out of there...I didn't get to see anything cool!

I know it's not that uncommon but my favorite thing I saw in the Andaman sea was the zebra shark.

OnTheSpot:
I first saw the elusive purple fire goby at Koh Bon at about 32m off the south side of the ridge, and I have to say it's a gorgeous little fish.
Purple Fire Goby

Other good places in the Similans to find purple fire dart gobies are East of Eden (25-33 meter) and at Elephant Head Rock on the SW side at 27 meter. They are indeed gorgeous little fish.:D

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I'm soo jealous, it was SOOO rough when we went to Black Rock, we only made dive and got the heck out of there...I didn't get to see anything cool!

I know it's not that uncommon but my favorite thing I saw in the Andaman sea was the zebra shark.

Black Rock is a place that many times will surprise you; sometimes not much going on at all (no fish, no critters and no big animals), other times great manta action or fantastic schooling fish, yet another time lots of cool small creatures. Can be very rough and can be supercalm, currents can be wicked too!

Zebra sharks ARE beautiful and not so common anymore as they were 5-6 years ago. Still, there's a good chance you'll see them while doing a liveaboard trip in the Andaman Sea.:D

Bowmouth:
Black Rock is a place that many times will surprise you; sometimes not much going on at all (no fish, no critters and no big animals), other times great manta action or fantastic schooling fish, yet another time lots of cool small creatures. Can be very rough and can be supercalm, currents can be wicked too!

Zebra sharks ARE beautiful and not so common anymore as they were 5-6 years ago. Still, there's a good chance you'll see them while doing a liveaboard trip in the Andaman Sea.:D

It was our last day of an 11 day trip...and we were at Breakfast Bend in the Similans and it just swam right in front of us...settled to the floor and just stayed there for 10 minutes posing for us! It was awesome.

I must say - I've seen many leopard sharks but never a zebra.

Kim:
I must say - I've seen many leopard sharks but never a zebra.

I"m not sure why they call it that Kim...but that's it's name

Zebra-shark-02.jpg

They're Zebra sharks - Leopard sharks are present in Northern California, and that confused me for awhile as they aren't the same.

They're called Zebra sharks, as I recall, because their young have stripes.

I've gotten close enough to kiss them on the lips, but restrained myself as it's not a good idea to touch the sea critters :)

Zebra shark article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_shark

Leopard shark article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triakis_semifasciata

Back
Top Bottom