Your max depth!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been to 110' but I think the best scenery and wildlife is in shallower water.

384. Damn aluminum 80 ran outta air or I'd have made 400!

Just kidding, I'm not that stupid.

122 on the Spiegel Grove... I can do 130 im sure without issue.
Depth is nothing. Not everyone will have any Narcosis issues..

I dont see why people feel depth is anything special other than decreased bottom time due to more air consumed.

By my 15th dive I had hit 102 and had I not been looking at the gauge, I would never know. Its not any different diving down there than diving at 20ft.. Its really a mental thing if you ask me.. As the wife and I were discussing, I feel, if you have a problem down below and your two options are drown or bolt for the surface, I say drown.. more chance of getting brought back than shooting for the surface and killing yourself that way.. of course, I say this because I am arrogant and feel "it will never happen to me, only stupid people dont monitor their dives"..

(I routinely check my gauges, my daughters, my wifes and anyone else in our family that may be diving with us so I can see what is going on in their world)

I dont understand people that do not check their gauges regularly while diving.. Had I not been monitoring mine, I would of been put into deco mode because of the many dives I was doing on vacation. My wife, addicted to her new camera, got stuck in deco mode.. Not an issue when you have the air for it.. Lucky for us, she is part fish.. her sacr is .16 so she had plenty to do the extended stops..

275 feet in Bonaire. Two guys had dropped to 200 feet and run out of air coming back up. They ended up dropping their gear and doing an ESA. I went back down after their gear which was sitting on the bottom at 275. Using only regular air and a stashed pair of super 80s hanging at 30 feet for my decomp stop. The dive ended up taking 4 hours 22 minutes. That is when both dive computers told me I was safe and I exited.

I thought compressed air became toxic at a depth of 214 feet?

122 on the Spiegel Grove... I can do 130 im sure without issue.
Depth is nothing. Not everyone will have any Narcosis issues..

No, everyone WILL have narcosis. It is unavoidable to experience nitrogen narcosis, but yea how much it impairs you will vary with a number of things including depth and temperature of the water, etc. I dive in 11C water and at 130 I can noticeably feel the narcosis. You dive in warm water I guess?

I dont see why people feel depth is anything special other than decreased bottom time due to more air consumed.

:shakehead: There are lots of differences! You have to plan gas consumption really well, where as I never bother planning that when I am at 3m under a pier. You have to plan for deco so you can't just ascend if you feel like it without consequences. I don't do deco diving but I accidentally went into deco the other day (my computer for some reason dropped my remaining bottom time from 30min to 28min, it adjusts for water temp and breathing rate so even though I was watching my gauges I still had issues), and lucky I had planned for extra gas for the extra 11 mins of deco stops I had. If I had just treated it like a shallow dive I would not have had a large enough gas reserve to do my deco time. If something goes wrong, it is harder to resolve at depth as the consequences of an emergency ascent are far more severe than at a really shallow dive. You need to carry redundancies (such as a pony), which means different weighting and learning how to bail out onto a pony. Then there is your MOD, 02 toxicity and all that stuff you have to figure out if you are diving on a mix. And different mixes if you are doing deco diving - there is a lot of planning involved in that. Oh yea, and then there is narcosis, people can do stupid things on narcosis...

By my 15th dive I had hit 102 and had I not been looking at the gauge, I would never know. Its not any different diving down there than diving at 20ft.. Its really a mental thing if you ask me.. As the wife and I were discussing, I feel, if you have a problem down below and your two options are drown or bolt for the surface, I say drown.. more chance of getting brought back than shooting for the surface and killing yourself that way.. of course, I say this because I am arrogant and feel "it will never happen to me, only stupid people dont monitor their dives"..

Those are not the only two options! If you think that you will run into a lot of trouble if something goes wrong at depth. It is why you carry redundant air, for one thing. I am guessing your diving will be cut short sooner rather than later if you have an attitude like that.

I dont understand people that do not check their gauges regularly while diving.. Had I not been monitoring mine, I would of been put into deco mode because of the many dives I was doing on vacation. My wife, addicted to her new camera, got stuck in deco mode.. Not an issue when you have the air for it.. Lucky for us, she is part fish.. her sacr is .16 so she had plenty to do the extended stops..

What about free flow? Or other forms of equipment failure. Failing to check one's gauges is not the only thing that can go wrong, you realise?

Seriously, what OW course did you do and who with? You have very screwed up ideas of diving imo.

My max depth is 282ft below sea level and I didn't even have to decompress! Of course it was in Death Valley. :) My maximum depth in the water was 128ft. I was following another diver who was following a turtle. I looked at my depth gauge and said to myself, "Whoops, recreational dive limit" and started my ascent. Normally I have better situational awareness, but I was probably getting a bit narced.

Narcosis depends on a lot of things. Especially your body make up. But the more experienced you are with handling getting drunk, you will be able to handle your narcosis better.

Narcosis depends on a lot of things. Especially your body make up. But the more experienced you are with handling getting drunk, you will be able to handle your narcosis better.

If you can handle getting drunk well, that does *not* necessarily mean you will handle narcosis well. Where did you learn that? The effects of narcosis will vary on lots of things, and will differ on different days for the same person. So if you don't feel that narced one day, it doesn't mean that in the future you won't feel the effects of narcosis. Some people here have some really odd ideas about narcosis... Also I would say temperature, how tired you are and CO2 levels play more a part of narcosis than body makeup too... but I could be wrong on that.

103 this week on Santa Rosa Wall in Cozumel - just got home today :shakehead:
I've been to 102 a couple of times and was considering 110, but my MOD was 111 and I didn't really have a dive buddy - odd number of divers on the boat and they all brought a friend/spouse, so I was a free agent in the group....... I would easily have gone to 110 if I had a buddy.

Deep diver is my next course, I think.....

Cozumel diving is bloody awesome, by the way.....:D

Cheers,

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom