Your least favourite fish.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do people provoke Barracuda's?

I've had a flared mouthful of teeth appear in my face from a Giant Solitary Barra in PNG so also have a healthy respect for them......schooling chevrons don't worry me but that giant solitary barra gliding alongside me is always going to warrant keeping an eye on it. Its like standing at a bar and having a massive ugly bad tempered bikie sit on the bar stool next to you. I wouldn't provoke either.....

I have heard a first hand account of a Barracuda attack where they were provoked by dive lights. I think they hunt like the Tarpon and lights can excite them. Most of the run-ins have occurred at night so I think lights are a contributing factor. Just don't flash your light in their face on purpose.

Barracuda are like women they like bright shiny things their also vicious and when provoked will leave a man bewildered and shocked

My least favorite is the perch... Especially the ones that are fond of ear lobes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate triggerfish. I had one give me one heckuva a nasty bite after I had it on the stringer. I had a bruise and bite mark for several months. So, now I put the stringer through the mouth when I go after them. They are delicious, so I love hunting them. :wink:

The barracuda thst attacked my fin (bit into it and wouldn't let go despite me struggling to shake it off) was only about 2' long, a little duffer for that area. I've no idea what could have provoked it though obviously something did. He came from behind me and all the other divers were in front of me. They'd seen nothing until I started to dance. Of course, everyone's masks flooded from laughter. I even laughed a little but wouldn't have had he been bigger. There's a bite mark in that hard fin surface. So, like Wingy, I'm wary of the solitary barracuda.

The barracuda that attempted to attack the diver's head had been with our group for the whole dive. No one knows why it suddenly went for her and fortunately, was coming from further away than it had been most of the dive. The diver had no jewelry nor anything different on her than snyone of the rest of us. She even had dark hair. Don't know, just don't know but it's certainly concerning.

It was a little pun - mental image of someone sitting there poking their tongue out at a Barra...I dive with one glove on because of Barra's - I know more than a handful (pun intended) of fishermen missing fingers thanks to Barras taking a liking to shiny objects.

My barra run in - I cut my hand on something during a dive and looked over to see about 6 big fat white tips and thought, hmm lets see about this one drop of blood thing....sharks did nothing. Was almost congratulating myself on my own personal mythbuster episode when a barra shot up from the depths and gave me an up real real close and overly personal look at his dental work and tonsils...and yeah I know fish dont have tonsils. After our face to face encounter he shot off over my shoulder and I said many bad words...hence why the one glove and one eye on the G.Solitary Barra.

I still hate Titan Trigger Fish - their ''cone of silence'' around their nest is just way too much - act like bloody rabid dobermans should anyone dare venture within sight of it.

numb-rays nasty critters and you don't have to get all that close to get a jolt from them either! I was finning along just off the bottom when I felt like something gave my knee a nasty sting. I moved up in the water, checked my knee... nothing:hm: turned and looked at the bottom, not a speck of silt or the slightest sign I had touched the bottom. Then I spotted the numb-ray buried in the silt. I must have barely been in range for the shock!

I've seen them come up in the water quite aggressive. Man they pack a whallop!

I have a love hate relationship with octopus.... some are fun and will come out to play tug-o-war. Others are bloomin Kleptomaniacs and they had a good grip! We get a LOT of octopus here and they seem to love to try to steal cameras and torches!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom