Your favourite bar or cantina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any men?
Of course not. In fact, I don't personally know any men that aren't of ill repute even if they don't hang out in bars.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 02:38 PM ----------

The issue is that people who will say stuff like that in writing in a public forum are immune to reasonable argument. Pointing out when they are ignorant defecatory orifices just seems to make them do it more.
Nor does having to explain lingua en bucca humor to the humor impaired help them appreciate humor any better. Some people are just hopelessly serious - probably the same folk who don't hang out in bars, but do sip tea with a finger in the air.

Gordon & Zman96: We had lunch on Tuesday at Andale and it was great. Nice view and a fabulous breeze. They even let us have the dogs at the table with us. (El Pascadora said no) We met Sharon one of the owners and yes I believe she is from South Africa. Super lady. Waiter Jose was great and he said it is more of a local place. Beers are $2.50 vs $4 at Coconuts or El Pascadora. My sister LOVED the peanut butter tequila.

Betty

I never hang out in cantinas where there are dogs of ill repute. I hope your dogs have clean pedigrees!

I never hang out in cantinas where there are dogs of ill repute. I hope your dogs have clean pedigrees!

I think you should be more concerned with the cleanliness of the (ahem).....................cats. :rofl3:

I have heard reports those dogs had recent experiences with the insertion of foreign objects. I'm just saying...

Gordon & Zman96: We had lunch on Tuesday at Andale and it was great. Nice view and a fabulous breeze. They even let us have the dogs at the table with us. (El Pascadora said no) We met Sharon one of the owners and yes I believe she is from South Africa. Super lady. Waiter Jose was great and he said it is more of a local place. Beers are $2.50 vs $4 at Coconuts or El Pascadora. My sister LOVED the peanut butter tequila.

Betty

Yes, Andele is the place. Great folks, great view, cheap beer... What else do you need? :D

1st posted this report in October of 2010.... I keep adding to this list - keep 'em coming!

Local friends introduced me to some cantinas that welcome women and serve botanas or snacks. Order a cold beer (or soda) and you're in.

• El Fish on the corner of 8 North and 10
  • Fisherman's Coop on 5 near the cemetery
  • El Pioline on the corner of 3 South and 15
  • Las Boyas just up the block on 3 from El Pioline
  • El Gato Negro on 6 North near 20th.
  • Recuerdo is on the corner of 45 (or so) and Juarez, north side of the street.
  • La Yucatequita. On 10, about 2 blocks north of Chedraui on the east side of the street. Look for a short palapa overhang.
  • Las Tortugas - (the one owned by Adrian's brother) is on 30th close to 21.
  • El Cozumeleño - directly behind the San Francisco Market on 30th & Juarez. Not sure of the name of this one (it's on 25th) but has a very nice manager, Don Manual, and has 2 rooms = one for the men so they could be rowdy together and one for "families" i.e. the ladies or mixed company.
  • Chendos on 40 or 45 (cross street?)
  • La Jungla on 50th (cross street?)

If it says "familiar" on the front women are welcome. I was surprised at the number of local ladies I saw in these places... girlfriends going out to chat and have a beer. It's not just us shameless Americanas.

There are many, many others. Las Boyas and El Gato Negro had live bands. They are noisy and fun and make for some great people watching. Usually the snacks start around 1 or 2 and go till 5-ish. The World Cup games were going on (2010) and at times these places were jammed.

The botanas were welcome and intriguing. They included sliced cucumbers, mini sausages and other meats, refried beans & chips, conch ceviche, fish ceviche, spicy potatoes, nachos & salsa, chicken wings, papadzules - a pumpkin seed dip, a fish, green pea & mayo dish and once a plate of enchiladas. Served with toothpicks for a bite-sized bite. The more beer you order, the more food shows up. The bottles are usually left on the table for the final tally.

Yes. When I get back home and reflect, my favorite watering holes are the neighborhood bars where English is not the primary language and the radio is not playing a station from Iowa. Iowa is a great place, do not get me wrong, but the neighbor hood water holes are more interesting. Please keep that list current.

Betty
Sharon and Chris are just really nice folks. Sharon is from England and Chris is from South Africa. They used to manage The Thirsty Cougar. We'll be hanging at Andele and Coconuts on the wild side here in a month or so :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom