Your Favorite Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just received my Reefs of Cozumel Map. Will be my first dive trip to Cozumel, planning on 6 days - 2 tanks a day and at least 1 nite dive in Apr. Diving with Martin. What reefs are not to be missed? Appreciate if you state your favorite reef and why. Looking at getting some great pics.

Just received my Reefs of Cozumel Map. Will be my first dive trip to Cozumel, planning on 6 days - 2 tanks a day and at least 1 nite dive in Apr. Diving with Martin. What reefs are not to be missed? Appreciate if you state your favorite reef and why. Looking at getting some great pics.
My favorite Coz reef tends to whichever one I am diving at the time, but if every trip went to Colombia Shallows, I wouldn't gripe. One thing, though; as an individual diver, you won't be able to dictate which sites you dive. Either the op will be on a set schedule (only a few of them, and not DWM) or it will be decided by consensus of the divers aboard with the DM making the final call. That said, I have usually found my fellow divers to be most accommodating if there is a particular reef I want to go to.

The good news is that the dives around Cozumel rarely disappoint no matter which site(s) you visit. If you miss going to a particular site, that's all the more reason to go back!

Right now, my favorite dive sites might be Barracuda and San Juan. Its that time of year that you should get to see Eagle Rays. For me, seeing a squadron of Eagle Rays is one of my favorite sights.
Other times of the year, it could be just about any dive site in Cozumel.

My favorite reef is whichever one I'm diving at the time. :wink:

Seriously, I've never had a bad dive in Coz.

Hi Cobra269- I love reading that it's the first time for someone heading to Coz, as you will in a few years. It always brings back the excitement I had at first experiencing this fabulous spot to dive.
I did exactly what you are doing, scanning every site on diving Coz, the restaurants, rereading about accommodations after I booked, reading every forum thread I could find. And buying maps and fish id cards. What a rush getting prepped for there.
Back to your question, for me I am a freak for caves or confined spaces so The devils throat I love and must do everytime I'm there. However I love the pinnacles also for there swim throughs and spectacular visuals. I love to take pictures so obviously macro stuff is on my list too, so hitting the shallows is way cool.
When you get on the boat and the dm says, "where we goin'." Thats when the discussion really begins about your dive sites. A concensus if you will. The dm usually gives reminders of the critters at each site or will give a description of the dive sites that are being narrowed down. I really love this part of diving, usually there is a lot of joking around.
Also the dm will want to know how comfortable his charges are for certain sites, usually the boats try to load divers of similiar skills. For me it doesnt matter who I did with on the boat. I kinda dive solo. Too much picture shooting and sculking around for little things to worry about someone else. My bad for making sure I have enough gas always. Checking my spg is like a nervous tick for me. 4-5 times a minute.
So you may get on a boat with a guy or girl like me or a diver thats never been in the ocean before. Thats the cool part, not knowing.
Record your dive sites quickly after diving, write down what you saw. And get back here with it. Deal.
I wish you good dives and sunny days. kev

kev: Thanks for the advice! My first time to Coz as well and a heads-up of what will happen when we get on the boat is appreciated. Hopefully we can meet up at the Park Royal for an after dive cocktail!!

I really liked Palancar Horseshoe it was like diving between mini mountains of coral. Also really liked doing Columbia Deep followed by Columbia shallows as a second dive.

Gaffer

You know last time I went with a mental list of where I wanted to go. Others on the boat had ideas where they wanted go. Their choices sounded good too, so we went there. In the end, a great trip. I'll keep looking for a bad dive site to avoid. I havent found it yet. :lookaround:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom