Your Favorite Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, it is sort of what you want to see. Many people go to the Rockies to see the chipmunks, some want the majestic peaks. The shallower reefs like Delilla or Paseo de Cedral may make the chipmunk people happy but for me the majestic peaks and swimthroughs are what get me going. And there are none better than the south side of the Punta Sur Reef, what we call Punta Sur Sur.

Most dive shops just do the Devil's Throat which is exactly in the middle of the Punta Sur Reef and result sin short, if exciting dives. The seldomly used south side of Punta Sur has numerous more swimthroughs and much more likelyhood of big animals. INdeed, since hurricane Wilma flushed out the holes in 2005 there are double the number of swimthroughs and many more Caribbean Reef Sharks. The holes being flushed out I understand, the sharks I don't.

But for me, Punta Sur Sur is the best dive in the Caribbean especially if you can use large tanks of nitrox 32, with the Devil's Throat shallow exit as the grand finale.

Prior to Wilma I used to think that Columbia Deep was the best dive here but Punta Sur Sur is tops for me now--but that is just because I don't focus on chipmunks!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Right now, my favorite dive sites might be Barracuda and San Juan. Its that time of year that you should get to see Eagle Rays. For me, seeing a squadron of Eagle Rays is one of my favorite sights.
Other times of the year, it could be just about any dive site in Cozumel.

I agree the squadrons of eagle rays are impressive and these reefs are different compared to the southern reefs. If you want macro life see if they will take you to dive the punta langosta pier. Lots of sponges, arrow crabs, banded shrimp, brittle stars and lots of brilliant colors.
John

Thanks for all your imput. Alittle over 2 mos before I go. Love this site. Aready thinking of packing.

For me, it is sort of what you want to see. Many people go to the Rockies to see the chipmunks, some want the majestic peaks. The shallower reefs like Delilla or Paseo de Cedral may make the chipmunk people happy but for me the majestic peaks and swimthroughs are what get me going. And there are none better than the south side of the Punta Sur Reef, what we call Punta Sur Sur.

Most dive shops just do the Devil's Throat which is exactly in the middle of the Punta Sur Reef and result sin short, if exciting dives. The seldomly used south side of Punta Sur has numerous more swimthroughs and much more likelyhood of big animals. INdeed, since hurricane Wilma flushed out the holes in 2005 there are double the number of swimthroughs and many more Caribbean Reef Sharks. The holes being flushed out I understand, the sharks I don't.

But for me, Punta Sur Sur is the best dive in the Caribbean especially if you can use large tanks of nitrox 32, with the Devil's Throat shallow exit as the grand finale.

Prior to Wilma I used to think that Columbia Deep was the best dive here but Punta Sur Sur is tops for me now--but that is just because I don't focus on chipmunks!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Great dive, that's as good a choice as any, I like both shallow dives you picked too. i hope to do all three in March when I'm there, besides others of course.:D

There are a lot of great dives, and I do not think I ever had a bad dive in Cozumel. But if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Palancar Bricks. The reef is very healthy, the fish life is fantastic, and the best thing is the amazing topography. The swim throughs and underwater scenery cannot be beat.

The OP's profile shows 25-49 dives. It may be a little soon for Punta Sur and Barracuda.

Still too tough to pic one favorite but Punta Tuniche is right up there.

The OP's profile shows 25-49 dives. It may be a little soon for Punta Sur and Barracuda.

he's 2 months away-------OP, get your dive numbers up & practice practice practice..................yea, guess Barracuda would be pushing it......

But still, he asked for my favorite reef.....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom