Your Favorite Coz Cantina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Are you kidding, Christi? The Shrimp Capi is wonderful, and so is the stuffed squid. IMO, of course, and YMMV.
Been there 3 times myself... Sorry to say Gordon, except for the 1st time (my 1st time on the island) I wasn't impressed. OK, last time Mia's meal was pretty good but mine wasn't. Maybe she had the Shrimp Capi :wink: The decor inside is awesome. Some of those old pics up on the walls are great. Except for the Museo I can't think of a place to see that kind of history.

Prima does have the best Lobster Tail on the island and it's consistent. The wife always get's the Seafood Pasta (Lobster, Shrimp & Scallops) Alfredo style. Luckily we've never been bothered by smoke either. We always try to sit on the ouside near the rail which helps.

Gordon is right about Leon Negra... Yum! You've got to like a stronger tasting beer however. If you're a Miller Lite drinker it might not be for you. :no

Christi:
Yes, that would be my favorite taqueria - El Pique :)
Yummy!!! Unfortunately my wife isn't big on places like this. She's not into Arrachera or Pork so I didn't get any the last time. :(

I know some people don't wander back in the hood (not that El Pique is that far back), I was pleasantly surprised by El Foco for good Tacos. It is on 5 between Prima's and Tony Rome's.

Other great Taco's are:
Camillo's: Fish or Shrimp Taco's
Casa Denis: Mayan Pork (though I'm sure all their tacos are good)

Moodiejeff:
Been there 3 times myself... Sorry to say Gordon, except for the 1st time (my 1st time on the island) I wasn't impressed.

Nothing to apologize for; DSFDF (different strokes for different folks). I've eaten there at least once on every trip for 20+ years, and I've never had a bad meal there. YMMV.

ggunn:
Nothing to apologize for; DSFDF (different strokes for different folks). I've eaten there at least once on every trip for 20+ years, and I've never had a bad meal there. YMMV.
Next time we're in the mood for Shrimp, maybe we'll give it another shot. Like I said, I really do like looking around in the place.

Prima Tratoria is good food as Gordon has posted. Gordon is also right about the cigars, but maybe ask for a table away from the front and in the no smoking section. I think the no smoking section will not solve the problem, but it may help.

The best bet is to get away from the door, because I thought the owner or the host at the top usually smoke the cigars, regularly?

Try La Mission in town. I also heard the Mission out of town is good, too. I don;t know the directions, though, to the one outside of town.

"No Name Bar" caters to the cruise ship workers. It is in Hotel Baracuda. Good luck in finding a seat on the sand or at the pool after your morning dives. It is a great resource for getting on the internet, as they have an internet cafe next door or as part of the bar.

I'm glad you asked. I've been pondering the same questions. Lots of good info here! I'm sad to hear about the No Name Bar, as that is where we are staying, and the pool bar factored heavily into our lodging decision.

I can't wait to try El Pique.

Can't wait to get there. Not much longer now!

AXL72:
Prima Tratoria is good food as Gordon has posted. Gordon is also right about the cigars, but maybe ask for a table away from the front and in the no smoking section. I think the no smoking section will not solve the problem, but it may help.

That's Prima, upstairs from Roberto's Black Coral shop, right? I've heard it called Pizza Prima (some time ago) and just Prima; I guess that's another variant. Anyway, I don't remember it being split up into smoking and non smoking, but when there's no breeze, I don't think it would make any difference; it's a small place and smoke goes where it will.

I've never smoked, but I'm around it all the time. Cigarettes I can handle if I'm not too close, but a cigar will thoroughly ruin my meal if I'm downwind. I don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate as to smoke them around folks who are trying to enjoy a meal.

But the food at Prima is very good, if a bit pricey, and they have by far the most extensive wine list I have seen on the island.

I have to agree with Christi, El Pique is a great taqueria, my favorite (not sure of the spelling)pastor. It will be one of my first stops. Also high on the list is Jorges taqueria on 30th. We enjoy Primas (never any trouble with smoke but there is always a first time) but also like La Lobsteria.
So many restaurants..so few days..

I've been to Cozumel a number of times in the last 5 years.. Since I was normally staying at a bed and breakfast, I ate out every night trying different restaurants. My favorite is El Morro. it's in a residential section closer to the Airport as far as I remember. I just loved their "Shrimp on a Wire"... I also regularly ate at a local joint on 65th called "La Conchita Del Caribe.."

Cheers...

I'm heading to Cozumel on Feb 16th for Two weeks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom