Your Favorite Coz Cantina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hitting the island in about two weeks with my wife for the first time. We have been reading all the posts regarding Cozumel for the past couple of months. The posts regarding great places to eat have been really helpful. But we wanted a few suggestions in a couple of specific areas.:popcorn:

1. What is your favorite cantina or watering hole on the island? We like a laid back atmosphere, you can leave the D.J., fog machine and dance floor for someone else. Beach bars work real well for us.

2. What is your favorite authentic Mexican restaurant on Coz? Doesn't have to be fancy, just not American Tex Mex.

3. Best restaurant for seafood?

4. Any suggestions for restaurants on the south end of the island?

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to make a trip report when we get back.

Safe diving!!

See my answers in blue:

PARADISE HUNTER:
Hitting the island in about two weeks with my wife for the first time. We have been reading all the posts regarding Cozumel for the past couple of months. The posts regarding great places to eat have been really helpful. But we wanted a few suggestions in a couple of specific areas.:popcorn:

1. What is your favorite cantina or watering hole on the island? We like a laid back atmosphere, you can leave the D.J., fog machine and dance floor for someone else. Beach bars work real well for us.
No name bar has become quite popular at the Barracuda hotel. French quarter has a nice bar area and a good crowd...no music, DJ, etc.

BTW, the true cantina's are typically not a nice place for women. Las Boyas is probably the most respectable one and fun to go in with a group, but most of the women you will find in a cantina here are um, working if you know what I mean. Respectable women don't hang out in cantina's and those who do have a reputation. There is a big difference in a cantina and a bar or a restaurant bar BTW.

2. What is your favorite authentic Mexican restaurant on Coz? Doesn't have to be fancy, just not American Tex Mex.
Ummm, this IS Mexico. You won't find Tex-Mex no matter how hard you try. Mission on 30th, La Choza, and really any restaurant that isn't otherwise "foreign" food here serves up local fare.

3. Best restaurant for seafood?
Camilos, Sonora grill, Guido's, and some like Capi Navigante but I have never understood that one. I have to say that Prima does an amazing lobster tail.
4. Any suggestions for restaurants on the south end of the island?
Pretty much non-existent except for the hotel restaurants (for hotel guests only) and the beach clubs, which all close down about 5:00pm. Another reason I don't really recommend the southern resorts. You're pretty isolated out there and coming into town is an event....although I agree it should be done!

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to make a trip report when we get back.

I hope this was helpful :)

Safe diving!!

...some like Capi Navigante but I have never understood that one.

Are you kidding, Christi? The Shrimp Capi is wonderful, and so is the stuffed squid. IMO, of course, and YMMV.

ggunn:
Are you kidding, Christi? The Shrimp Capi is wonderful, and so is the stuffed squid. IMO, of course, and YMMV.

Well, that's not what I have had...I'vce just not had good luck there...but I'm willing to give them another try :)

For just relaxing on the beach, I love Coconuts, with Mezcalitos coming in second. They are quite a ways away though, so you have to rent a car...but worth it! Of course our favorite thing to do downtown is to go up to one of the little convenience store (usually located mid-block) with this phrase:

dos cervezas para llevar por favor (2 beers to go please)

and walk around the square.

Authentic restaraunts: We ate at a local taqueria (I think that's how it was spelled.) and the pork tacos were amazing (as was the guacomole). Stay away from the rez de cabeza though, unless you really like cow brains. No one spoke english though, so be prepared. If Christi reads this, perhaps she can tell the name, since she told us about the place.

I second the nomination of Prima's for lobster tail...excellent!

Thanks Christi for the cantina tip. I had no idea. I could just see us rolling into one for a bit of the "local feel" and end up with a bit more "feel" than we intended.

Can't wait!!

thebes11:
Authentic restaraunts: We ate at a local taqueria (I think that's how it was spelled.) and the pork tacos were amazing (as was the guacomole). Stay away from the rez de cabeza though, unless you really like cow brains. No one spoke english though, so be prepared. If Christi reads this, perhaps she can tell the name, since she told us about the place.

Yes, that would be my favorite taqueria - El Pique :)

PARADISE HUNTER:
Thanks Christi for the cantina tip. I had no idea. I could just see us rolling into one for a bit of the "local feel" and end up with a bit more "feel" than we intended.

Can't wait!!

LOL, yes. Like I said though, Las Boyas is more of a family cantina...but I still doubt it's what you're looking for :)

I'm not a big drinker and don't have much free time...otherwise I'd have some better apres dive bar suggestions.

When I do, I like to go to the other side to Coconuts and Mescalitos...definitely something you should do. If you both plan on drinking, then hire a taxi. Obviously drinking and driving is unsafe...but if that's not enough to convince someone...they're really cracking down on drinking and driving here for tourists and locals alike...THANK GOD! I don't think any of you want to end up in the local jail :) Notice I didn't say DRUNK driving, I said DRINKING and driving...in otherwords...don't do it, period!

thebes11:
Of course our favorite thing to do downtown is to go up to one of the little convenience store (usually located mid-block) with this phrase:
dos cervezas para llevar por favor (2 beers to go please)
and walk around the square.

Leon Negra... <Homer Simpson gargling on drool noise>

I like Prima, too, except that they sell cigars downstairs that guys bring up to the restaurant and fire up when they are finished eating but I am not. That completely wrecks a meal for me. That has happened two of the last three times I was there and it's kinda put me off the place.

ggunn:
Leon Negra... <Homer Simpson gargling on drool noise>

I like Prima, too, except that they sell cigars downstairs that guys bring up to the restaurant and fire up when they are finished eating but I am not. That completely wrecks a meal for me. That has happened two of the last three times I was there and it's kinda put me off the place.

Hey Gordon, I was in Primas last June and I dont remember seeing the cigars or the walk-in humidor downstairs. Maybe I am wrong about that but I dont think so. Any one been there recently?

Back
Top Bottom