Your favorite bonaire restaurant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and definitely pick up some cumin Gouda at Van Den Tweel for snacking on. This, for me, is even more important than the restaurants, 😝.
You weren’t kidding, WOW!

Attachments

• 716BF282-73E6-4C49-B526-028D1313D152.jpeg
    716BF282-73E6-4C49-B526-028D1313D152.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 78
Thanks to this thread, we had a really amazing dinner at Joe's and now are on our second big hunk of cumin gouda :D - thanks!
My father and I had a great meal at El Bigote - the portions weren't US-sized for tex mex, but the food and margaritas were delicious and it has wonderfully chill atmosphere. For Venezuelan, Sabor de mi Tierra was super tasty, but my spanish isn't great and the lady spoke zero english so the ordering experience was clunky. Liked what came out of the kitchen though!

Thanks to this thread, we had a really amazing dinner at Joe's and now are on our second big hunk of cumin gouda :D - thanks!
My father and I had a great meal at El Bigote - the portions weren't US-sized for tex mex, but the food and margaritas were delicious and it has wonderfully chill atmosphere. For Venezuelan, Sabor de mi Tierra was super tasty, but my spanish isn't great and the lady spoke zero english so the ordering experience was clunky. Liked what came out of the kitchen though!
Fantastic!
This thread will come in handy wen I’m there next January, some new to me places to try!

I always loved the dining threads...
This comes with a couple of disclaimers though. We (Mrs Nettles and I) are hardly gastronomes. For the last 15 years or so our only "fine" dining experiences have been on Bonaire, other than Birthday celebrations. We are generally fairly easy to please but as Mrs Nettles is an amazing cook we both recognize when something is exceptional. As people who have been dining on Bonaire since pre-Lenny, we generally know what to expect in terms of food quality and service and are well aware that they are sometimes completely separate in the same establishment and that good restaurants can have a bad night in either department. I like to think we aren't too hard to please and as long as you don't strand us with nothing to eat or drink for an unreasonable amount of time, we aren't. There is no denying that dining in Bonaire has taken a huge jump upward in the last couple of decades. Pity that the prices have as well. One thing that I don't have a lot of time for is pretension, even with the goods to back it up and I am delighted by meals which surprise me by being better than expected.
On this last trip we had that experience at Irie and El Pecadore. We didn't expect much and were very happy with the total experience. Donna and Giogios, Cuba Companie were also good but they both have a terrific atmosphere, so who could complain? The big winners this year were Rains Fishes, which should be no surprise to anyone, yet always surprises me with the quality and great service - attentive without being obsequious, and and old favorite Mona Lisa, who came through with a tuna app and a wahoo main which was the mark of a great meal - truly exceptional. Another disclaimer, I have always had a soft spot in my head for Mona Lisa, and my heart is broken that it will soon be replaced by a t shirt emporium.
The Lionfish burgers at Cactus Blue food truck were so good we went back two days later and would have gone a third time if we could have pulled it off. Overpiced? Sure, but its for a good cause as well as delicious. The burgers are good too.

I had lovely dinners in the past at Brass Boer, I was here 2 weeks ago again with high expectations. It was always my special treat in the previous vacations I had on Bonaire the last couple of years.
Unfortunately I certainly did not meet my expectations this time. The food was just oke, but not more than that. I had the large shrimps you finalize yourself at your table. 1 1/2 minute they told me they should be on the table barbecue. I timed 90 seconds exactly, unfortunately quite overdone, so too long in the kitchen precooked.. The Paella was handwarm, it came on a cold plate (or maybe it was to long on the pass), but as said only handwarm when we started to eat.
The sommelier was very mechanical in her wine suggestions. Like reading a prerecorded script.
All in all quite a deception this time. Hopefully this was a one off.
Interestingly, the other 2 times I was with Brass Boer int he past, the restaurant was fully booked. This time max 60%. Maybe time of the year or?

I also had dinner at Senang, the other Boer restaurant on the resort. That was very nice again, Very friendly staff, good food, Definitely one to pay a visit in your vacation.

Thanks to all the previous commenters we had some great food this past week. As a group of foodies we definitely found some phenomenal meals. Highlights include:
Mi Banane for low key deliciousness
Stoked food truck
Sebastian’s on Wednesday night the chef’s surprise menu was awesome.
Mezze has a great view, great food and great staff!
Yhanni’s Areppas we’re outstanding after a morning of east coast diving.
It rains Fishes for a finale of the week and once again good food and phenomenal waitstaff.

Thanks for the heads up on Yhanni’s! Always up go good arepas. We drove by them almost every day and didn’t know they were there.

Erik

Our last night we had a phenomenal meal at Brass Boer - we did the vegetarian tasting menu and had cocktails - gorgeous sunset view, felt like we were waited on hand and foot by two servers, the dishes were delicious and I was stuffed afterwards, which I was not expecting, nor did I expect to have one of the best vegetarian meals of my life on Bonaire, where we've found the vegetarian offerings to be... not super exciting. :)

So anyway, if you're up for a fancy meal, especially if you are vegetarian or into having a great meat-free meal, check out the Brass Boer tasting menu!

Other places I'd recommend vegetarians: Joes, El Bigote, Between 2 Buns

Today is our last of ten days here..... Sad fly this afternoon..... For us the best restaurant was Rum Runners at Capt Don's. Food and service was great Prices very reasonable. For me, their onion rings and baby back ribs were awesome! Here's their menu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom