your "Before I quit diving" list....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrBill, out of curiousity why Hainan? Is there decent diving there? Curious as it's just a short flight from Hong Kong...

drbill:
QUIT? Never...

Amen, brother!!!!

A VERY Short list...

1.) Dive with a Great White
2.) Great Barrier Reef
3.) the rest of the Pacific Rim
4.) the Amazon River (or at least a clear tributary)

Travelnsj:
Well...the reasons are

Galapagos.....4 dives I thought were worth while....cold and rough water and about 8k (maybe more) to fly, do the Aggressor etc....go to the further out in the Pacific.

Red Sea....great corals.....the fish left 20 years ago....if you tie it into a land based trip....will be the greatest.

Grand Caymans...did not see much....did that great wall dive....have seen more at the Big Dropoff in Palau in one minute that I have seen in a 50 minute dive there.

Sipidan....Two weeks diving...35 dives.....vis no better than 15' to 30'....long way to go from mediocre diving.

Maui.....nothing to see and I get seasick everytime I go diving there!....go to Kona:)

Belize....did the southern portion LY.....some ok soft corals....and some pretty fishes here and there and they nickle and dime you.....Go to Cozumel.

Overall I find the Indo-Pacific has the best diving in the world....but I'll still go back to Cozumel and I want to do the Bahamas.

Thanks for the answers.
Sipadan is one of the sites I was looking forward to.
I am hoping to move out to Malaysia soon so most of my diving will be based out there from now on.
I will miss out on Scapaflow but Australia and the Pacific will be within reach.

under the ice, but Im scared of the cold!
Bassas da India, once I have a boat!
Australia
caribean
pacific

Kariba dam wall, but im scared of getting shot!
Basically anywhere I can see on google earth!

victor:
Thanks for the answers.
Sipadan is one of the sites I was looking forward to.
I am hoping to move out to Malaysia soon so most of my diving will be based out there from now on.
I will miss out on Scapaflow but Australia and the Pacific will be within reach.

I stayed at Kapalai...loved the place....I was there in Sept 2004....some people I know love Sipidan.....for me there just was no vis!....saw Turtles everywhere and Whitetips...other than that saw the school of Barracuda...Once!...Many dives...Nothing.....Oh if you are into Muck diving...there is cool stuff.....I'm into big stuff.....until I went to East Timor:)

I hope I never quit diving. I'd be quite impossible to live with.

Places I would love to go, though:

#1 is the caves in Mexico. I'm going there in March to do some cavern tours. If I like it anywhere near as much as I think I will, I'll be back down there for a formal cave course.

#2 is the caves in Florida.

I'd really like to go BACK to the east coast of Australia, maybe start at Byron Bay and work my way down to the Solitaries. See the weedy sea dragons. Byron Bay was too incredible not to do again.

I'd really like to get up more into Canada, around Port Hardy and Quadra Island.

I'd like to go back to Monterey. The colors were stunning.

I'm going to go to LA and dive with the LA SBers. That's my birthday present to myself this year.

I don't have any great desire to do the Galapagos or Palau -- I'm not that crazy about heavy current diving. And Bikini and Truk are too wreck-intensive, unless I get the wreck bug, which I haven't got yet.

Bonaire sounds like fun. Someplace with unlimited shore diving and still beautiful corals and lots of reef life.

The shorter list would be where I don't really want to go diving . . .

undefined:
Yes... I have been thinking about this for some time. It will probably end up being a deco dive.

Alright, now you're bragging! :D

Steve_Dives:
Alright, now you're bragging! :D

That'll come later. I've got an underwater camera capable of video, and a spot on YouTube just waiting for the right clip! The challenge will be keeping the PDC in focus for record keeping (does anyone know who holds the record on this?)

TSandM:
I hope I never quit diving. I'd be quite impossible to live with.

I'd really like to get up more into Canada, around Port Hardy and Quadra Island.

Bonaire sounds like fun. Someplace with unlimited shore diving and still beautiful corals and lots of reef life.

The shorter list would be where I don't really want to go diving . . .

A couple of you listed God's Pocket (or Port Hardy area) and Bonaire. I would highly advise you to go to God's Pocket first. It is the best diving I've ever done. Think cold water with tropical viz. And the sea life! OMG!

Bonaire is great and easy shore diving. But, IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of God's Pocket diving. If you go in April or September, the Pacific White Sided dolphins are plentiful and like to play with divers, particularly as you do a giant stride off with a 5 - 8' drop.

I'll stake a claim at the more achievable end of the spectrum,
- every quarry within about 4-5 hours,
- the Great Lakes
- the quarry near my brother
- something at altitude
- some rivers
- Epcot
- Mangroves
- Under a huge ship (while it's a float and without the screws turning)
- That tank they train astronauts in

I'd like to dive under ice.

And then everything on drbill's list at peak season, off season, at night, and a second time 10 years later! (If I made the list short you might think I was wishing my life away! :D )

Back
Top Bottom