Young divers VS Old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, see, it's not a sport. I've already addressed this in another thread :)

Well, really...if it comes down to that, I'll just spend some money on a compressor. But I don't see it coming to that. When I moved here, we had two dive shops. Now we have three. And a 4th is opening up soon. If dive shops are a dying breed, perhaps we just didn't the word. Yeah - Alaska - always at the end of the line. :)

First, SCUBA is a sport regardless of how many times you "discussed" it because if you were to get yourself a dictionary and use it you would see that it falls into the definition of sport squarely:). You don't get to make up definitions as you go.

Second, I don't know exactly where "old" kicks in but as an older diver I much prefer to do business with an on line store like scubatoys.com and vdh.com and LP.com and a couple of others.

N

Last edited:
Young divers VS. Old divers.

In this day and age, there seems to be a "war" going on in the dive industry. We have young divers on one side and the old divers on the other.

There are many young divers and young dive companies by which I mean, the willing to change with technology and adapt to this day and age.

Then there are the old divers who stick to their brick and mortar dive shop with no interest whatsoever to adapt to the technology of the internet and the new ways of doing things.

The dive industry is in a rut, the young divers and dive companies have to win this war, in order to welcome and attract the new divers to the industry. The future of diving is coming, and it is time for a lot of dive companies to either adapt or get out of the way.

There have been many examples of this in the past couple of years.

I know most of you have an opinion on this, so lets discuss this.
What an interesting perspective ... a totally wrong one, to my concern, but interesting.

The group of friends I dive with range in age from teens to well into 60's. For the most part (as in most endeavors in life) everyone gets along fine, so there's no "war" ... as you put it.

For sure, younger people are generally quicker to embrace new approaches and technologies ... but that has more to do with "comfort level" ... just like everything else in life, you are more comfortable with the familiar. But I don't see older folks sticking to brick and mortar vs. younger folks sticking to internet business ... I see a pretty good mix of each.

And, for the most part, older folks tend to have more disposable income ... which is an essential part of scuba diving. For example, I'll be 57 in a coupla weeks ... so that would put me in your "old" category I would guess. And I just purchased about $3,800 worth of underwater photography gear over the Internet (Amazon & Backscatter). I have good personal relationships (and some not-so-good ones) with several dive manufacturers, although we've never met except online.

Technology? Betchya you don't own anything any more technologically advanced than my dive computer and my ride.

At the same time, I regularly frequent my local dive shop ... rarely spend less than $200 a month on fills and accessories there ... and know most local dive shop owners personally.

I can pretty much say the same for a lot of older divers I know.

For the most part, we get along with the younger folks we dive with. They often bring a refreshing energy and enthusiasm ... which makes me smile and remember what it was like to find everything about diving exciting and new. At the same time, the younger divers I know seem to appreciate having an older dude around to show 'em a few tricks they'd never pick up in a classroom.

Your assumptions are flawed. Age has nothing to do with how people approach scuba diving. Means and motivation are more a determining factor ... and even that's not nearly as important as attitude. Some folks take diving very seriously ... others just like to jump in the water and go have fun. Personally, I prefer the latter crowd ... doesn't much matter how old they are.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When all the young divers die off, that'll leave only the old ones----no need for a discussion then....just give it time.....:)

I don't have any problems with advances in technology at all. I have new masks that cost more than all my gear combined did when I started. But don't jump in with everything cost more now because diving used to be very expensive to get into with the very basics. Today it takes a much smaller percentage of the average annual income.

The only issue I have is with training, or the lack of.

Gary D.

i do agree with you halemano, there is not a rift between older and younger divers. i think divezero missed his target a little bit, in how he phrased it. i know many, many older divers who are using cutting edge equipment and diving technique. the question might, MIGHT be a little more accurate if posed as divers who embrace new technology in this industry, and divers who are still using rocket fins! lol. i have seen many divers who are still using equipment from the seventies and eighties, and i am always mystified at the sight.

[/U][/B]

Other than perhaps an electronically controlled rebreather what is this new cutting edge equipment and techniques you are referring to.
My newest equipment dates from the 80's, preforms as good or better than some of the new equipment of today.
Younger divers tend to buy into the "new technology" hype just for the sake of it, even though there may no real benefit.
Older more experienced divers can separate the wheat from the chaff and don't necessarily buy in the hype unless the hype can be proven to be more than just hype..

Young divers VS. Old divers.

In this day and age, there seems to be a "war" going on in the dive industry. We have young divers on one side and the old divers on the other.

There are many young divers and young dive companies by which I mean, the willing to change with technology and adapt to this day and age.

Then there are the old divers who stick to their brick and mortar dive shop with no interest whatsoever to adapt to the technology of the internet and the new ways of doing things.

The dive industry is in a rut, the young divers and dive companies have to win this war, in order to welcome and attract the new divers to the industry. The future of diving is coming, and it is time for a lot of dive companies to either adapt or get out of the way.

There have been many examples of this in the past couple of years.

I know most of you have an opinion on this, so lets discuss this.
The masks and fins manufactured in 2009 are not radically different from those manufactured in 1989. Capitalism and the market will either force adaptation or elimination. The concept of 'old' versus 'young' is a false dichotomy. There is no 'war'.

Don't mistake what occurs on ScubaBoard for either 'the dive industry' or 'reality'.

:wink:

Doc

There's no war between young and old divers except in the minds of some. Diving brings people of different ages together, it doesn't push them apart.

This is an answer I can agree with. I have friends that are in their 80's and still diving, it gives me hope. I have friends that I have dove with that are in their 20's and I'm excited when they get fired up for their own dive trips. I guess I'm in the middle, in my 50's, so am I in the group of older...or ...younger?

We all get along, seems to me we are all pretty excited about diving where ever we go. Why are we going to be against anyone, just because they have a habit that is different than mine, it doesn't make them good or bad, just different....and, who of anyone you know is exactly like another?

Every experienced diver I know has their own little quirks and practices whether it's buying over the internet vs. LDS or dive planning or limits to dive depth. Face it, I have my own set of hand signals between my wife and I as well.
Why does there have to be a war???

Well you can define a word however you want. You might have trouble getting people to understand you but if that doesn't bother you knock yourself out :wink:

When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less. -- Lewis Carroll

Richard

In all my years of diving, I have never experienced this "generation gap" or "division" among divers. And I really don't see the "problem" that the original poster referred to. Any more, 100% of the divers I dive with could be my sons or daughters, yet I feel like I am just a peer dive buddy when with them. Twice a year in my area, in the Spring and Fall, we have a Meet & Greet at our local quarry and I am always the way older diver present out of the 40 or so that show up; yet, they accept me and treat me all weekend long as if I was one of them. I feel (and act) as if I was 20 or 30 and I believe they keep me feeling that young. (Never has anyone of them ever made a snide comment about my 20 yr. old Fathom III BCD. Although they did "ride" me when my brand new DUI leaked on its very first dive.) I've been on many dive trips all over the world both land-based and live-a-boards and have never felt out of place or in competition with the younger divers. The only reason I was not the oldest guest aboard a live-a-board on one trip was only because Stan Waterman was a celebrity guest that week. Obviously, I'm slowing down, however I have the confidence that as long as I keep my health and stamina that allow me to dive safely, my Young dive buddies will give me a helping hand when I need it. DIVING HAS NO AGE LINES!----I said it, and I'm sticking to it.

OK, all you old goats who have never used the internet, raise your hands and be counted.:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom