Yoke vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim220171:
Actually I think that most DIN systems are sold in Germany only . Here in spain they are predominately yokes. I have seen tanks for sale that have both adapters on them , so you can have the choice but most people Ive met from Europe seem to have the more common yoke system ( I myself have cressi sub mk7 1st stage which is a yoke )
When I meet German speakers on dive boats in the Red Sea with DIN regulators, they're almost certainly German or Austrian. When there's a German speaker with a yoke regulator, it's probable he/she is Swiss. I've asked, and to my surprise they've told me that Switzerland is about 50/50.

More like 100%, in my experience.

Here in this part of Europe (Eastern), folks that own their own rigs tend to use DIN. But a huge proportion of regulators used for training are yoke; I think it may be because they get them used from the U.S. Donut inserts are very common.

Interesting that in Europe, at least German-speaking Europe and points east, the yoke system is referred to as INT (as in "international").

--Marek

In engeneering classes (in the 70s) an instructor said that yolk designs were good 1930s engineering, DIN was good 1950s engineering, and modern engineering (meaning 70s) would be an over center latch type design. This would solve the problems of over/under twisting the connector...

Here in Slovenia DIN is the most common (and recommended) and we also refer to yoke as INT (international). DIN also seems to be standard in Italy and Croatia.

Cheers
Bojan

tremtech:
Well here is some further useless information from a former Navy electronics tech. the new technology for key boards was supposed to be the Dvorak keyboard it was a technicaly better design , more comfortable,and faster to type with but like the (Yoke)1st stage regulators in use today it just the main stream equiptment and until people use it or see it in use they wont even try it or buy it. I use both

I only type on Dvorak keyboards, though it's only software emulation. I simply change the keyboard settings to Dvorak, but the keys still keep the qwerty layout.

Good thing I can touchtype.

flyguy:
If DIN is supposed to be superior to Yoke, why does just about every tank (especially aluminums) and first stage come default with a yoke adapter and not a DIN.

Yoke is, generally speaking, cheaper.

Flyguy, yoke connections have been in continuous use since the second world war. Originally, SCUBA yokes were just a refinement of oxygen yokes. As tank pressures increased, yoke designs were updated, refined and strengthened. They have always been the preferred setup for tanks until the 3500 psi models were developed. Then, because of some European and US guidelines, and for liability reasons, PST felt obliged to design their HP tanks with a special thread size to fit only DIN connections. However, they have since backed away from this for unknown reasons, installed standard 3/4 NSPT and is probably an acknowledgement to the popularity of the yoke clamp, and to its improved design. The specific changes have been discussed here before. Briefly, the orifice has been modified to accept a thinner O ring which allows the regulator to make metal to metal contact, capture the O ring and, of course, the clamp itself has been strengthened considerably.

pescador775:
The specific changes have been discussed here before. Briefly, the orifice has been modified to accept a thinner O ring which allows the regulator to make metal to metal contact, capture the O ring and, of course, the clamp itself has been strengthened considerably.
OK, I hear a bell ringing somewhere... Is that why you can find two different sizes (cross-section) of yoke o-rings now?

With the older, thicker o-rings, was there no metal-to-metal contact? And was that the reason why o-rings extruded? And is that maybe the reason why all yoke connections still have their bad reputation?

An finally... what's the compatibility? Will a newer first stage orifice fit onto an older (thicker o-ring) valve, but with the risk of o-ring extrusion?

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom