Yoke vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlegros:
Having just got back from two weeks in Egypt and watching up to three failed o-rings per day - I was very glad to have had DIN regs.

Failed O-Rings, or the users of the o-rings failed to inspect them before hooking up their reg to it?

Who is to blame for that? an O-Ring can "fail" on any system (yoke or din)... that's why they are so cheap.

Charlie99:
Same reason the US is still using imperial measurements, and why you probably typed your post on a QUERTY keyboard. Tradition / compatibility with older gear / inconvenience of change.

QWERTY

dlegros:
Apeks (not sue about US manufacturers) make one which is a solid ball and so does not trap water like the conical ones.

Dom

Have an Apeks ATX200 and, yes, you should be very careful about blowing dustcaps!

I hope this next bit is not bad news (to any Brits out there), but I believe that Apeks is now owned by Aqualung! Aqualung also bought out Seaquest and Suunto. There is at least one other company there which I'm sure somebody can fill in (if I'm wrong someone will be happy to point that out too :blah: ). Some Aqualung regs come with the solid ball and I agree that it is a much better design! Does anybody know whether you can buy the dustcap alone?

Ever wonder why the QWERTY keyboard array was "invented"?

The first practical typewriter was patented in the United States in 1868 by Christopher Latham Sholes. But Sholes had a problem. On his first model, his "ABC" key arrangement caused the keys to jam when the typist worked quickly. Sholes didn't know how to keep the keys from sticking, so his solution was to keep the typist from typing too fast.

Scubagolf:
Ever wonder why the QWERTY keyboard array was "invented"?

The first practical typewriter was patented in the United States in 1868 by Christopher Latham Sholes. But Sholes had a problem. On his first model, his "ABC" key arrangement caused the keys to jam when the typist worked quickly. Sholes didn't know how to keep the keys from sticking, so his solution was to keep the typist from typing too fast.
Then again, perhaps not ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html

Don Burke:

"The typebars hung in a circle. The roller which held the paper sat over this circle, and when a key was pressed, a typebar would swing up to hit the paper from underneath. If two typebars were near each other in the circle, they would tend to clash into each other when typed in succession. So, Sholes figured he had to take the most common letter pairs such as "TH" and make sure their typebars hung at safe distances. "

A bit more articulately stated, but the very same idea: Forcing the typist to hit keys that were attached to arms not immediately adjacent to each other. I actually typed for a living (military clerk) in the the very early seventies using the old style typewriter. If you really rocked and rolled you could get the key "arms" to jam.

Well here is some further useless information from a former Navy electronics tech. the new technology for key boards was supposed to be the Dvorak keyboard it was a technicaly better design , more comfortable,and faster to type with but like the (Yoke)1st stage regulators in use today it just the main stream equiptment and until people use it or see it in use they wont even try it or buy it. I use both

Scubagolf:
"The typebars hung in a circle. The roller which held the paper sat over this circle, and when a key was pressed, a typebar would swing up to hit the paper from underneath. If two typebars were near each other in the circle, they would tend to clash into each other when typed in succession. So, Sholes figured he had to take the most common letter pairs such as "TH" and make sure their typebars hung at safe distances. "

A bit more articulately stated, but the very same idea: Forcing the typist to hit keys that were attached to arms not immediately adjacent to each other. I actually typed for a living (military clerk) in the the very early seventies using the old style typewriter. If you really rocked and rolled you could get the key "arms" to jam.
The second paragraph after the one you quoted:

The keyboard arrangement was considered important enough to be included on Sholes' patent granted in 1878 (see drawing), some years after the machine was into production. QWERTY's effect, by reducing those annoying clashes, was to speed up typing rather than slow it down.

To put it another way ... Then again, perhaps not ...

I hung up a few manual typewriters in my time too. I never did it on an electric, so perhaps there were interlocks. I never worked on an electric with arms. Once we went to golfballs and daisy wheels it all became moot and further developments make it academic.

Since the GSA study found the Dvorak keyboard no faster in practical use, I do not see how Shole's original design could have been any faster than the QWERTY.

Don Burke:
The second paragraph after the one you quoted:

The keyboard arrangement was considered important enough to be included on Sholes' patent granted in 1878 (see drawing), some years after the machine was into production. QWERTY's effect, by reducing those annoying clashes, was to speed up typing rather than slow it down.

To put it another way ... Then again, perhaps not ...

I think that he's saying that by slowing characters-per-second typed down, and not getting the typewriter jammed, that you're actually speeding up the entire process of typing a document / documents.

I think you're both saying the same thing...kinda. :)

Woland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom