Yoke vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woland:
I think that he's saying that by slowing characters-per-second typed down, and not getting the typewriter jammed, that you're actually speeding up the entire process of typing a document / documents.

I think you're both saying the same thing...kinda. :)

Woland
I interpret it to mean that keeping the typebars likely to be used sequentially on different parts of the "circle" prevented jams. Note that one of the features of the Dvorak keyboard is that it largely alternates hands.

Believing that Shole intentionally slowed down the keystrokes would require me to believe that he intentionally discarded a faster key arangement.

That involves two assumptions:

1. That there was a faster key arangement at the time.
Since the Dvorak keyboard was not developed until much later and at a considerable expenditure of effort, could Shole's initial keyboard have been faster than Dvorak's? I think not.

The only tests I have reporting higher speeds for the Dvorak are anectdotal at best and also report that many found the speed gain to not be worth the effort. There is the GSA study (which I have _not_ found independent documentation of) that reported no significant speed gain.

What could Shole's initial arangement possibly be and how could it have been faster than QWERTY if Dvorak's design is having so much trouble being proven faster?

2. That Shole knew about it.
On a new machine, how much study could they have done on various keyboards? There would be no population of expert typists to draw from. There were the pressures of getting it to market.

xxxxxx

I find it far more likely that Shole was just trying to make his machine work and the keyboard layout he picked for mechanical reasons happened to be pretty fast. In fact, fast enough that a marginally faster keyboard (developed later) has been largely ignored as "not worth the trouble". The concept that he intentionally slowed down keystroke speed does not fit the evidence.

Bringing this back to topic, DIN is better than yoke, but not enough better to force the issue.

In other items, new technology has quickly replaced old when the improvement was there.

- The DVD has made massive dents in the prerecorded VHS market.

- The CD has all but eliminated the vinyl record and the prerecorded compact cassette.

DIN is better, just not enough better.

Don Burke:
Bringing this back to topic, DIN is better than yoke, but not enough better to force the issue.

In other items, new technology has quickly replaced old when the improvement was there.

- The DVD has made massive dents in the prerecorded VHS market.

- The CD has all but eliminated the vinyl record and the prerecorded compact cassette.

DIN is better, just not enough better.

You've hit the nail on the head there Don.

And Whatgoesdown - you can buy ball dust caps from the shop at Capernwray

Dom

dlegros:
Is there someone other than Apeks making those?

I would like to get some and ordering them from a shop in the UK would not be my first choice.

Not sure Don, but this looks better than a conical cap.

Dom

This reminds me of the old Spectrum vs. Commodore war or the more recent Intel vs. AMD. The eternal question... which is better?

I noticed how some posters write about DIN and standard (referring to yoke). The point is, DIN is a standard. As for which is better.. I like DIN because I find it simpler to assemble, it's smaller and seems to be more robust. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers!
Bojan

dlegros:

Dom

Thanks, I'll be getting a few I reckon. The ones you had a link to are a good improvement but still catch a bit of water in the groove and the indent in the middle. The beauty of the Apeks is that you can just wipe it on your T-shirt and know it's dry! I see a lot of dust caps at work

Sorry to drift again. Another explanation of the QWERTY arrangement was so that the typewriter salesman wouldn't have to hunt and peck to spell the word TYPEWRITER during demonstrations - The letters are all conveniently located in the same row.

The Horn:
I had the misfortune of not going DIN from day one. It is easy to fit a yoke adapter for trips bbut no so the other way around. Most regs sold in Eruope will be DIN style. It has to do with same imperial/metric thing.

Yoke valves are cheap in the US because of mass production, less robust and easyier to manufacture. I just bought a stage bottle and had them fit a yoke/DIN valve so I'm covered for both. It just sucks that now I have to outfit two regs and two tanks if I want to go all DIN.

The Din style is a much better valve interface.
Actually I think that most DIN systems are sold in Germany only . Here in spain they are predominately yokes. I have seen tanks for sale that have both adapters on them , so you can have the choice but most people Ive met from Europe seem to have the more common yoke system ( I myself have cressi sub mk7 1st stage which is a yoke )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom