Yoke or din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rc.chris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the thoughts on which one is better? I have some HP 120's that are din and all my other tanks are yoke. The reg is kinda bulky when I put the yoke adapter on the din fitting. I was thinking of changing my 120's to yoke fittings.

DIN is more secure, Yoke is more prevalent. My suggestion if your HP are modern HP i.e. 3442 psi you get Pro valves which can be DIN or Yoke.

I firmly agree with Scared Silly. I switched all my regs to DIN (they all had Pro Valves on my doubles manifolds). The best for wreck penetration.

DIN, I have seen to many divers loose out on dives due to yoke o-rings failing and not having spares. It is also a smaller profile, can be used with 300 bar (HP) tanks.

I've had and dived with both. Assuming you're not doing technical dives, and you're not using cylinders over 3000 psi/232 BAR, there's not much of an advantage to DIN.

DIN is a bit less bulky and lighter.

There is also an advantage to having the DIN o-ring on the reg, where you can maybe control and protect it better; and not on a yoke valve, where it's a bit more exposed, particularly if you're using rental tanks. But you've got extra o-rings in your save-a-dive kit in any case, don't you?

But yoke may make perfect sense in a particular diver's situation, like our family's right now -- we're doing almost all our dives on vacation in the Caribbean.

Both yoke an DIN can work. We found that the yoke-DIN combination tank valve was not satisfactory. The little "yoke conversion" insert was not robust, due to the dimensions required to have it fit the DIN hole. After a couple of years of use, the things were tough to seal. I converted my reg and my daughter's to DIN.

Maybe that converter plug would have worked better on an LP tank. At 3442psi it was just to flimsy.

Both yoke an DIN can work. We found that the yoke-DIN combination tank valve was not satisfactory. The little "yoke conversion" insert was not robust, due to the dimensions required to have it fit the DIN hole. After a couple of years of use, the things were tough to seal. I converted my reg and my daughter's to DIN.

Maybe that converter plug would have worked better on an LP tank. At 3442psi it was just to flimsy.

Could be LP inserts into a HP system.............

Could be LP inserts into a HP system.............

Five tanks, two brands of valve, three different types of valve. The little inserts all got bent out of shape. We tried to be gentle. I don't know about the fill stations.

DIN, if you're doing alot of cave/wreck diving. But for recreational diving Yoke is fine, no matter the psi.

DIN is safer,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom