Yoga = Better Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VaScubaGirl once bubbled...
I started practicing ashtanga/power yoga a couple of years ago.

They took away the Power Yoga class from my gym due to lack of interest ;-0

I'm going to try the Restorative instead - I'm presuming as the breath control is key to better air consumption - this should do the trick - but I'm sure going to miss power yoga!

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...
I'm going to try the Restorative instead - I'm presuming as the breath control is key to better air consumption - this should do the trick - but I'm sure going to miss power yoga!

You raise an interesting thought about what aspect/type of yoga really results in improved air consumption while diving. Restorative yoga is much more gentle, so I'm not sure you'll get the straight-up physical fitness benefit that you get from astanga/power yoga. I do think that contributes to improved air consumption, particularly when you have to exert yourself, such as when working against surge or a current. On the other hand, the ability to relax and get centered through controlled breathing is really powerful, and that will surely translate nicely to your diving. I think the relaxation component alone is enough to reduce your air consumption.

Enjoy the journey.

lragsac once bubbled...

I do think that contributes to improved air consumption, particularly when you have to exert yourself, such as when working against surge or a current.

My thought is that if I follow a regular workout routine of cardio, strength training and yoga I should be good to go in all aspects.

Now I just have to stick to my game plan! :)

Back
Top Bottom