YO257 or the Mahi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KiiY

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just trying to get ideas for our next Oahu dive trip (whenever that may be) and wanted to know what you all think of the YO257 versus the Mahi?

My wife and I dove the YO257 and San Pedro on May 21st, and it was a fantastic dive. But I wish the Waikiki shallow dives offered a little more in terms of scenery.

The Mahi and Makaha Caverns sound like a great combination and I'm wondering if we should beg our normal instructor/guide/teacher to take us there next time.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Mahalo!

Personally, the Mahi looks like a pile of rubble to me... but Makaha caverns can be exceptional when the viz is great. You can call ahead and find out what the swell, wind and viz is...

The Mahi is a 5 if the YO is a 9 or a ten...

I like the Corsair and Baby Barge (east side, Hawaii Kai better). Baby Barge is a nice dive, a ledge, almost always sharks, turtles. The west side seems pretty barren in comparison, to me.

Ditto the traffic, not a scenic drive either. .... Makaha caverns, inside Baby Barge, Corsair

It's true, she isn't the wreck she used to be, but the great thing about the Mahi is the Eagle Rays and the zillion pufferfish (4' pufferfish!!!) - lots of life there....there is another wreck within swim distance (only for non air hogs :wink:)...if the captain can find it Concrete reef is awesome too.

The problem with diving the Mahi, is that it means you would usually have to dive with OC... not my favorite operation on Oahu. In her day, the Mahi was a great dive, however since she is collapsing on herself, she has lost some of her luster. Try the Sea Tiger, my favorite wreck on Oahu, or China Wall/Spitting Cave (tough dive, but my favorite on Oahu).

Don't forget Captain Bruce, or one of the other wholesale seat dive ops

Tomato/Tomato... not really impressed with any of the ops out of the Boat Harbor.

Try the Sea Tiger, my favorite wreck on Oahu, or China Wall/Spitting Cave (tough dive, but my favorite on Oahu).

yes. I would say those are the top two also. I am hesitant to push Spitting Caves these days, it is so conditions dependent...

Thanks all for the advice.

I guess we'll stick with the Sea Tiger and YO257 for now. Both are wonderful dives that I could do over and over again. I'll just need to develop a better eye for spotting the small things on the shallow dives in that area.

Or if we're on the east side we can try the Mini Barge. Spitting Caves is probably off the list unless it's an exceptionally calm day. Growing up in Hawaii Kai, I used to fish and take pictures off Portlock so I know the surface conditions there. Scary.

Oh, you grew up in Hawaii Kai? Sea Tiger has lots to explore!

A boat captain just wrote a letter to the editor about that spot--some tips. I will post it once it appears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom