YKK zipper on new TLS Signature suit devulcanizing (or delaminating) after 90 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
in 16 months. Is this normal for a YKK zipper? Is there a more well-made metal zipper I can buy, or should I just plan on paying for a new zipper after every 16 months of use?

could it be a fake YKK? I understand there are fake ones with the same YKK logo, not sure how to tell them apart, but the real ones with decent maintenance should last way more than 16 months for sure tons more than 90 dives.

Might try a TiZip?

What is the condition of the latex seals? Are they deteriorating rapidly? Could some kind of chemical have gotten on the zipper? Could just be a bad run from the manufacturer.

Most zippers last for years and years.

in 16 months. Is this normal for a YKK zipper? Is there a more well-made metal zipper I can buy, or should I just plan on paying for a new zipper after every 16 months of use?

Are you talking abut the edge fuzz or is the rubber doing something weird?

Are you talking abut the edge fuzz or is the rubber doing something weird?

The rubber under the zipper stop (@ the closing end) has d-vulcanized from the rubber on the zipper allowing water to enter the suit @ the end of the zipper.

That sounds like a defect. It happens. It sucks. Time to move forward with replacement. I wouldn't expect a warranty after 16 months.

What kind of zipper are you going to use this time?

That sounds like a defect. It happens. It sucks. Time to move forward with replacement. I wouldn't expect a warranty after 16 months.

What kind of zipper are you going to use this time?

That's part of the question. Is there a metal zipper manufacturer more reliable than YKK ( with which I have only had a 100% failure rate on a new DUI suit)? I don't want replacing defective YKK zippers to become my new yearly hobby.

Last edited:
Is there a metal zipper manufacturer more reliable than YKK
Why does it have to be metal? Is there something wrong with plastic? At least there isn't as much rubber to fail, no fraying ends that need burning back often, and no brass to corrode. BDM also makes metal zippers, but I do not believe DUI uses them. They are free to correct me if I am wrong. Ykk is the most commonly used brand that I know of. Send it to DUI and I am sure they can fix you right up.

I don't want replacing defective YKK zippers to become my new yearly hobby.
One failure does not mean they are all defective.

Hi Evad,

I posed your question to Pam Oliva. She was wondering if we can get a bit more information about the zipper from you. Could you email her a photo of the zipper and the issue? Pam's email is Pam@DUI-Online.com. Also please mention that this is in regards to the zipper posting on SB.

Pam also mentioned a couple of reminders to me about zipper care. It is really important to make sure the zipper is opened completely before doffing the drysuit.

Two - make sure your crotch strap is unclipped and pull up the telescoping material (if a self-don) before removing the drysuit. You DO NOT want to muscle in or out of your suit. This will take it's toll on the zipper.

Evad - not saying you are doing this...just a friendly reminder. No one wants to replace a drysuit zipper before it's time :wink:

We have information up on zipper care at DOG TV - Your Waterproof Zipper is the Heart and Soul of Your Drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom