YKK zipper on new TLS Signature suit devulcanizing (or delaminating) after 90 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Peter_C.

I spoke with Susan Long, DUI's CEO and President, about waterproof zippers. Here is what she had to say:

WATERPROOF ZIPPERS

DUI uses YKK waterproof zippers - the most proven waterproof zipper on the market today. Over the years YKK purchased the other waterproof zipper companies (BDM, Talon, etc). Therefore all companies making a drysuit use YKK zippers. DUI has been working closely with YKK as well as all of our other vendors to improve their quality and designs.

Recently a company called TiZip from Germany began producing a viable potential option. We have been testing their zippers, and other manufacturers that come along, over the years. Many of these are made with plastic. The designs have been improving whether that is the zipper material itself, teeth design and most importantly, reinforcements.

Reinforcements are vital to the longevity of the zipper. For example, one drysuit company showed someone folding a plastic zipper in half and banging it with a hammer. This never happens in real life. What happens in real life is someone opens the zipper - and not all the way - and "muscles" in or out of the suit splitting it at the end or at the teeth. This is the most common way a waterproof zipper breaks. Of course, they don't show you that on a video!

DUI just built a device that will open and close a waterproof zipper 100 times and then pressurize behind it looking for leaks. We've shown it to the zipper manufacturers and they are impressed! None of them have anything like this. And they probably wouldn't want to as most of them state their zippers are good for 300 or so cycles. Since you open and close the zipper a minimum of 4 times for one dive, it doesn't take long to get to 300 cycles.

That takes us to the interesting fact that no zipper company offers any type of warranty. The fact that DUI provides a one year warranty on a waterproof zipper is completely backed by DUI. One would think that if these companies truly believe in their product, they would offer a warranty.

So you know, DUI is calling 2013, "The Year of the Zipper." We have already started the process of thoroughly testing every waterproof zipper (again). This will include our new cycle test as well as our tried-and-true mixer test. This is where we put samples in a cement mixer and turn them for hours at a time. This helps to expedite wear and we can compare it to how our current zippers wear. We run it for 100 hours and then test the zippers. We do the same with materials, seams, etc.

Keep the questions coming and we will always do our best to answer you quickly, completely and honestly. But don't expect us to jump on the latest craze without thorough testing. We know people put their lives in our products and we take that very seriously.

Thank you for asking!

DUI just built a device that will open and close a waterproof zipper 100 times and then pressurize behind it looking for leaks. We've shown it to the zipper manufacturers and they are impressed! None of them have anything like this. And they probably wouldn't want to as most of them state their zippers are good for 300 or so cycles. Since you open and close the zipper a minimum of 4 times for one dive, it doesn't take long to get to 300 cycles.
I will speak for others also, but we are hoping your awesome zipper test machine results are published right here in the DUI forum for everyone to see. I am sure you will pick the tested toughest zipper out there and utilize it in your suits showing you not only build a top quality product, but can prove the components used are the best.

FWIW I did watch the exhaust valve video from DUI. Keep the information coming!

Hi Evad,

I posed your question to Pam Oliva. She was wondering if we can get a bit more information about the zipper from you. Could you email her a photo of the zipper and the issue? Pam's email is Pam@DUI-Online.com. Also please mention that this is in regards to the zipper posting on SB.

Pam also mentioned a couple of reminders to me about zipper care. It is really important to make sure the zipper is opened completely before doffing the drysuit.

Two - make sure your crotch strap is unclipped and pull up the telescoping material (if a self-don) before removing the drysuit. You DO NOT want to muscle in or out of your suit. This will take it's toll on the zipper.

Evad - not saying you are doing this...just a friendly reminder. No one wants to replace a drysuit zipper before it's time :wink:

We have information up on zipper care at DOG TV - Your Waterproof Zipper is the Heart and Soul of Your Drysuit

OK, thanks! I wasn't really expecting any help from you guys, but I'll try to e-mail Pam before I go to YKK. (I've already glued it back together, but have a pre-fix picture.)

Last edited:
Really quick - I posted the new zipper testing device in a new thread here in our forum. Take a look the video is very short and sweet and we are super excited about it.

Yes we will be testing all types of waterproof zippers. We want the best of the best!

I also thought I would replay this information on the TiZip. Susan mentioned that we are putting these in some of the DUI DEMOTOUR suits and they hit the road in March. People are hard on those suits so it's a great testing ground :wink:. And we do have a few test suits in the field now. From Susan Long "we mean what we say when we say 2013 is the Year of the Zipper!".

Reinforcements are vital to the longevity of the zipper. For example, one drysuit company showed someone folding a plastic zipper in half and banging it with a hammer. This never happens in real life. What happens in real life is someone opens the zipper - and not all the way - and "muscles" in or out of the suit splitting it at the end or at the teeth. This is the most common way a waterproof zipper breaks. Of course, they don't show you that on a video!

Really? I have had two BDM zippers break in a similar way to this. It was in a back zip suit and where the arms would fold over the suit when it was rolled up the zipper broke between the teeth. The second zipper I was way more careful with and it broke the same way. This type of break happened to my local shop owners CF200 and he sent it to DUI for a replacement so I now DUI has seen at least one failure like this. The video does show what happens then the zipper is not fully open, before you get to the "muscles" out or into the suit the zipper opens the rest of the way on it's own. On my back zip suit the third zipper is a TIZIP and if possible I would not use any other zipper. Just incase you would like to refresh your memory of the video here it is:wink:.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV7P_hDQfTA

---------- Post added January 16th, 2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

BTW I will be looking forward to the tests from your new machine, it looks interesting. I think YKK/BDM has been slipping in quality over the years. The owner of my local shop has a CF200 that was built in 2002? I believe his original zipper lasted for almost five years, now he is getting around 18 months out of one. Same type of diving and same care of the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom