Yet Another Vote for DIY . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend, visiting from Baja, for the first time, since the covidiocy, brought along an older Cyklon 5000 of his, that had recently been "serviced" near La Paz, since he didn't quite trust Correos de México, their "occasional" postal service, to ship it to the States.

Where to begin?

The shop managed to strip the 6 mm Allen wrench opening of the valve stem; but that clearly wasn't enough. For some inexplicable reason, which I can only attribute to the infernal heat down there and mescal, the “tech" decided to drill through the sintered filter, in, what I suppose, was a failed attempt to remove the stem.

When that proved unsuccessful, step-two was the grinding down of each side of the stem, to facilitate a wrench; or, judging from the marks, maybe a pair of vise-grips or pliers. Shreds of the brass filter and stem were spread just about everywhere; and it took a great deal of high pressure air; repeated cotton swabs to the threads; and two long rides in the ultrasonic cleaner, to remove.

Even so, we were still getting crap out of the first stage, and blew through most of an HP tank, to eventually clear out everything. That 1,425 pesos. (about US 70.00) bargain overhaul wasn’t worth the headache.

MicroMesh -- 8000 and 12000 -- salvaged the scoured piston (thanks, @rsingler); and the "patient" is currently resting at 11.5 bar, along with a "new" old valve stem, tightened to specs . . .

Attachments

• 608D1085-AAD4-42BA-9064-36FB26D1962F.jpeg
    608D1085-AAD4-42BA-9064-36FB26D1962F.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 129
good heavens, that was quite the emergency room save.... brought back from the dead one might say...

I thought the official “tech” solution to that much butchery was to inexplicably “loose” the reg.

Yikes! I was nervous servicing my own regs, but never came anywhere close to a tiny fraction of the disaster shown...

Back
Top Bottom