Yet Another Pony Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with it right side mounted, valve up and on. I had the regulator quick draw bungeed to the pony and only have to reach back with my right hand and pull it under my arm to me.

I may try it upside down so I can turn the valve on and off and clip the reg to my BC next time I go quarry diving with one.

AL

I sling my 19cf pony, so this is an uninformed conceptual opinion, but if I dove with a pony back-mounted, I'd dive with the valve down. It would make it easier to see bubbles coming from the wrong place if I were to log-roll while solo diving. Mounting it with the valve up would strike me as a poor decision, considering I really like the option of conserving air in the event of a mild gear problem.

That said, at the end of the sixth dive this past weekend, I noticed a tiny stream of bubbles coming from my slung pony's O-ring. There is no way I would have noticed such a small amount of bubbles, even if it was mounted upside down, which makes the "you can see failures more quickly with your tank-mounted pony inverted" idea carry somewhat less weight.

(Seeing the tiny leak while at the end of my safety stop prompted me to investigate, and when I pulled the reg after the dive, I found the O-ring was not in good shape and likely would have blown completely sometime in the next few dives, judging from the pieces starting to extrude/shear/whatever off.)

Back
Top Bottom