Yet ANOTHER newbie equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortie suit.

A full suit is much more useful...it will serve in a wider variety of thermal conditions and offers better dermal protection. If you are doing multiple dives per day you can get chilled in even the warmest of waters.

I also recommend a full warm water suit. Just returned from a trip and dove with a 3mm shortie. I was the only one with a shortie of the seven of us. I wasn't cold, but next trip I will get a 3mm full to avoid the scrapes on the legs and elbows.

If you can swing it, go for a reg, BC, and spair air together. Get the best BC. My theory is the people who aren't sure if they will enjoy diving long and buy the low cost (uncomfortable) gear (or rent the uncomfortable gear) are guaranteeing that they will not be diving for long as the cheep equiptment makes the diving a pain.

Good luck and enjoy the sport

I like the Spair air on the BC instead of a separate octo. One less hose.

billseamon:
I like the Spair air on the BC instead of a separate octo. One less hose.

Heck, get a few cans and you can get rid of two hoses :59:

Seriously, I wouldn't recommend the spair air ... go for the Octo. Do a search. From what I've read its provides an unwarranted sense of security/redundancy, not to mention no real backup for your diving buddy (or anyone else who may need help).

I think billseamon was referring to an air2 rather than a Spare Air. I read it as, "I like the (safe second) on the BC instead of a separate octo."

That would be one less hose. I do hope he didn't mean a Spare Air INSTEAD of an octo!

theskull

theskull:
I think billseamon was referring to an air2 rather than a Spare Air. I read it as, "I like the (safe second) on the BC instead of a separate octo."

That would be one less hose. I do hope he didn't mean a Spare Air INSTEAD of an octo!

theskull

That makes me feel somewhat better, although I'd still recommend a good secondary rather than the Air2. But, the Air2 is better than even several cans of Spair Air.

I would also add this. You can go to your LDS and try on several types od BCs. Find the one you like and before you buy, do a search on line with the major sellers like Diver's Direct, Leisure Pro, ect. You will probably find it alot cheaper. You will be able to get a more top of the line but spend the same amount. Just know your size for the particular model that you are looking for. Alot of people hate this idea due to the fact that you are not supporting your LDS. I believe in supporting them, but you have to look out for yourself first of all. I do buy from both. You will find in most cases that your LDS will understand. They know that you will be in for other items in the long run. It is just my opinion though. :54:

cableman:
You can go to your LDS and try on several types of BCs ... [then buy online for cheaper] ... look out for yourself first of all ... in most cases that your LDS will understand.

Not sure why the LDS would understand.

I've settled into a pattern that if I use an LDS's service, I try and give them the business. I won't use their service first. I'll ask if their prices are flexible, if not I go elsewhere before I waste their time knowing I won't buy from them. You know, the old fashioned "do unto others as you would want them to do unto you." I guess everybody has to decide what they feel comfortable doing.

FWIW I'm not an LDS.

This may sound a little wierd but when, or if, you go to the LDS to look at equipment, check out the BCs first. Then, when you think you found one that you like, wear it while the guy talks about the regs, octos, and computers. At the end of the guy's sales pitch, if you forget about wearing the BC, thats the one for the comfort factor. I went into my LDS and tried on a Scubapro Knighthawk and the guy started talking about regs and stuff before I took it off but before I knew it I had been in there for an hour and totally forgot about wearing the BC. Just an odd tip that may help you out.
Good luck with finding your equipment.

I did mean the Air II. That replaces the power inflator. I wouldn't remommend the spair air at all.

billseamon:
I did mean the Air II. That replaces the power inflator. I wouldn't remommend the spair air at all.
Stay away from integreated inflators/octos such as Air II's. Sure, one less hose but have you considered how hard it will be to breathe off of the thing during an ascent while dumping air from you BC through and dealing with a possibly paniced diver less than 3 feet away on your primary. Sounds like an easy way to get one or both of you killed.

If you are insistant on an air source/air II kind of regulator, do yourself a favor and put your primary on a 5' to 7' hose to give youself some space from the OOA victim to deal with dumping air from your BC. There should be plenty of messages on this board on how to route/donate a long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom