Yet another Mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firedogut

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this has been asked again and again.......but please bear with me

i need a new mask. I currently dive with the Scuba Pro crystalvu with purge. clear with clear skirt. The issue i have the the plastic from the purge starts to cut into my nose after long dives or back back dives. the mask does not leak. The side view is also so so as it seems to give me double vision mirror action if my dive budy is in the perfect place.

i have a avg face and most masks fit me well. so just say go with the one that fits best. i need to narrow it down to a few masks to try on.

what i am looking for is a mask with a great i mean great field of vision. I want to see up, down, left, right, hell if it can help me see behind me i want it. Low profile would also be nice but the field of view is most important. I also do not want a purge valve.

at what depths would recomend a red lens on the mask........should i look at masks with the red lens?

wow, your right yet another,

my personal choices are the Mares X-Vision and the Mares Demon.
X-vision (my primary)- is very low profile, very good FOV
Demon (my backup)- slightly high profile, better downward and overall FOV.

I have a pretty large nose and both of these fit me great and are very comfortable.

also a lot of people really like the Atomic Frameless and the Mares Liquidskin, I have never tried the former, the Liquid skin didn't seem to fit me well and I prefered the regular X-vision

as for red lenses. I have only tried them once so I don't claim to be an expert, I thought they were too dark and returned them to the guy I borrowed them from. many people sware by them, I'm just not one of them. I have seen the color improvements w/red camera filters, but my eye didn't see it u/w

Atomic Aquatics Frameless clear mask. The best I've ever owned, and well worth the money. Can get medium fit for smaller faces.

Atomic Aquatics Frameless clear mask. The best I've ever owned, and well worth the money. Can get medium fit for smaller faces.

Ditto on the Atomic Frameless. In the end, nobody can recommend a perfect fit over the internet. Go to a few local dive shops and try on every mask on the wall.

It's been said over and over again...but I'll chime in just to make sure you get the point: Atomic Frameless and you might even forget you're wearing one.

I have an Atomic Sub-frame and am thinking about getting a frameless and relegate the sub-frame to back-up duty. Atomics are build like tanks.

So ,Deep VI I'm going to get an atomic sub frame with ARC ,cheked it out at the LDS,do you have any issues with yours or are you wanting a frameless for other reasons

Don't have any real issues with mine. It seems to be fussy about how tight the strap is. It likes to be on the looser side, crank it down and it'll leak. Seems like the frameless gives a better field of view.

:14:went ahead and bought the subframe, now just need a bit of good weather ---less wave action for a few days, so I can get it wet and see how it likes my face,seems to seal pretty good on a dry suction test. and fits very comfortably, so we'll see huh!
Robert

Hello, in my personal opinion the Atomic frame-less mask is the best choice for what you describe. I to had a purge valve in a Tunsa mask and had like issues with the nose pocket. While trying the Atomic out I could not believe how comfortable it was and how easy it was to clear. Two OW training sessions in the pool demonstrating mask skills and I was in hooked. I tried to switch back to my old mask and it was horrible! I challenge you to try it and see what you think. Also like you I suffered from reflection / etc. issues with vision. I was advised to try a black skirt again what a difference just a black skirt made. No more mirror images and the field of vision is unbelievable. There are many great threads on mask issues, just take some time to look them over it will help you gain more information. Good luck! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom