Yet another long Cozumel trip report - 3/31 to 4/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I stayed at Caribe Blu and dove with the in-house shop of Blue Angel. Both are top notch operations and after 3 tries I've now found both a hotel and op in Cozumel that have gained my loyalty and guaranteed return. I really owe a big thanks to parrotheaddiver, Christi and Gordon for recommending it.

The rooms at CB are superb. Good size and laid out very conveniently. Great views and as long as you are not on the main floor a nice secure place to hang your suit to dry. Beds are comfortable which is rare on Coz. Only complaint would be the lack of refrigerator, which I understand the owner is in the process of rectifying. I just wasn’t lucky enough to get one of the rooms that already had one.

There is a decent little place above the dive shop that serves breakfast and lunch.

Blue Angel was great. Fast boats and a true willingness to try to meet the requests of the divers. All of DM and captains I dove with were very friendly. I had absolutely no hassles at all and the free shore diving is a great plus. Nice little reef right at the hotel where I was able to find, among others, a squid, a seahorse, many eels and rays. I never made a night dive but I’m sure there would have been plenty of octopi around if I had. If I had to find something to complain about it would be the cost of the nitrox: $10 per tank.

Day 1:

Arrived in Cancun and bussed/ferried down to Coz in plenty of time to get in an afternoon shore dive to double check weight and make sure my new camera case didn’t leak. Nice pleasant little dive with lots to see. Headed downtown in a nasty little rainstorm to have dinner at Casa Denis, which is always a favorite and lived up to it’s usual standards.

Day 2:

Walked down to Papa Hogs for a nice breakfast then hit the boat with Ramon. Did Santa Rosa for the first dive. One of the guys on the boat wanted to do the wreck for the second dive which was a little unfortunate because that put him too close to deco and we had to end the dive sooner than I would have liked, but I had done C-53 before so no big deal. Did lunch at Ernesto’s and another shore dive where I found a rather large seahorse. Back to town for dinner at La Morena. This was my first time at La Morena and I was very impressed. Great salsa and the Fish Veracruz was wonderful.

Day 3:

We had Mat as the DM for the day. Mat is on a 2 month vacation from Alberta while he does his DM internship, what a tough life. Real friendly guy we had two great dives starting with Palancar Gardens. I love the Gardens for the large coral formations and the fact that it ends up about 30 feet so you can do a nice scenic 20+ minute safety stop. Second dive was Yucab where the currents were a little quick that day but the dive was nice and our fairly new DM managed to spot a Splendid Toadfish. Tried lunch at the little place above the shop and did dinner a Pepe’s. I was very unimpressed with Pepe’s which surprised me because I had heard good things. Very little fish on the menu so I went with the specialty: Ribeye. Suffice it to stay that for the same price I can get a better steak at any of dozens of good restaurants in any city in the states.

Day 4:

A guy on the boat from the day before wanted to do Devil’s Throat so that’s where we headed with Ramon again. My first time doing Devil’s Throat and I was thoroughly impressed. It’s a gorgeous dive and unfortunately short because of the depth. Thankfully no one on board had a Suunto or it would have been shorter… Second dive was El Cedral. Walked back down to Papa Hogs for lunch and then did another shore dive. I waded out slipped on the fins and dropped down. To my surprise there was a small squid not five feet away from me. Headed back to town for dinner at La Choza so I could pick up some sauce to take back. A couple of La Choza’s stiff margaritas and I was able to find a bar showing the Tech/OK game. Being from Atlanta and having attended Tech I thoroughly enjoyed harassing the owner who was from OK and threatened to double the price of my beers J. (We won’t discuss last nights game.)

Day 5:

Headed out with Jorge back down to Punta Sur to do Cathedral. Another gorgeous dive we were able to stay down longer on this one. Second dive was French Reef. The visibility was not good on this dive for some reason and the reef is too short, we ran out of reef long before we ran out of air. After the dive I showered, said my goodbyes and headed back to Cancun so I wouldn’t have to deal with the ferry/bus the following morning before my flight. This was a mistake I will NEVER make again. I have absolutely nothing nice to say about Cancun so I’ll just keep my mouth shut and in the future, should I happened to get another last minute “deal” that lands me in Cancun, I’ll just stay in Coz and do the morning ferry/bus thing or take a puddle jump from the Cozumel airport.

All in all it was a fabulous trip except Cancun. Can’t wait to get back again.

James

"Thankfully no one on board had a Suunto or it would have been shorter"

Hmmm, I have a Suunto...are you refering to their more conservative algorithmns?

Scott101:
"Thankfully no one on board had a Suunto or it would have been shorter"

Hmmm, I have a Suunto...are you refering to their more conservative algorithmns?
Yep, no intention of bashing Suunto but the DM wanted people together on this dive and I think he wanted to avoid deco if possible....

First if they would change the sampling rate they can come close to changing some of the more conservative algorithms, this making them close to others and some people might like the added safety.
Personally I like the added conservativeness, but also dive my table. Remember to be safe (remember the computer don't tell you how to dive), the watch, depth, and tables, sort of tell you what to dive!!! Oh guess I should added the type and amount of AIR too.

James,

Thanks for the great report. I really look forward to reading these posts. Lets me reflect on past trips and gets me to planning the next ones.

I was following along with mental pictures until you mentioned French reef. Is this another name for La Francesa?

I understand as well the liberal/conservative computer conundrum as well. I try to find DM's that will allow the divers to surface as they have to as opposed to all at one time.

dnhill

dnhill:
I was following along with mental pictures until you mentioned French reef. Is this another name for La Francesa?
This one took me by surprise as well. We stopped after Punta Sur at the closest little beach bar there. No pier but it has a nice size beach to drop off at an some moorings the boats use. I've never been to it by land so I have no idea what it is called. When we got back on the boat Jorge said "how about French Reef?", no one disagreed so he said "get ready we're here." On a good day I could have thrown a rock to beach bar.

All in all I don't recomend it as a dive. The vis was not good. I'm not sure if this was the reef or the vis had degenerated over the entire area at that time. The real issue is that it was too short. No big deal though, the first dive that day more than made up for it.

Glad to hear you liked Blue Angel. I was in Coz in Feb and I'm thinking about going back in May and diving with them. Are thre any DM"S that you especially recommend?

HEY! I was in Casa Denis with my two buddies on 3/31 in the rainstorm! It started raining about 1/2 hour after we got there.

I stayed at Casa Mexicana and dived with Blue XTSea. My first Coz trip. Very nice, if you can avoid the pod people.

And I dove a Suunto, and once went into deco, unfortunately. It all worked out tho.

Chris

nikyyo:
Glad to hear you liked Blue Angel. I was in Coz in Feb and I'm thinking about going back in May and diving with them. Are thre any DM"S that you especially recommend?
I'd have to say I like Ramon the best of the 3 I had. Matt is a real great guy but since he was down for 2 months on a DM internship he didn't really know the reefs like the locals. He had a limited selection of reefs he felt comfortable taking people to. The other was Jorge who is also a great DM but not quite as sociable as Ramon.

James

ChrisM:
HEY! I was in Casa Denis with my two buddies on 3/31 in the rainstorm! It started raining about 1/2 hour after we got there.

I stayed at Casa Mexicana and dived with Blue XTSea. My first Coz trip. Very nice, if you can avoid the pod people.
I arrived about 1/2 hour after it started raining so we proably missed each other but who knows?

I really wanted to try diving with Christi but the benefits of getting the free shore dives by diving with Blue Angel out weighed that desire. Saturday I tried to look her up to see if I could schedule a night dive but I coudn't find her in the local directory.

Oh well. I'm sure from the recomendations on here she runs a great service, but it would be hard to top Blue Angel so there can't be that much difference.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom