yet another LeisurePro thread (Atomic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a note on my experience: I asked scubatoys if I could purchase an atomic reg from them. They told me that I had to go to the shop to get it since they aren't allowed to sell atomic products over the phone or email or internet. Anyone have a different experience?

That seems likely since they list Atomic gear on their website but no pricing info.

ST may be an authorized dealer of equipment but some of it they can't sell except for instore.

As for the T1 vs B1 part. If you plan on taking care of you equipment, rinsing after dives, etc. Go with the B1.

HybridDiver:
... plus They wont do as nice of a job on them I think, Reason being why should they care to service them super nice tip top shape if i dont buy them from there. ...

:confused:
Hopefully not taking that too far out of context. If you honestly think this of your LDS, then it is really time to find a new one. All shops/techs "should" use the same amount of diligence and care when servicing 1st/2nd stages, no matter where it came from. If you have any doubts about that, get it done by someone who you know will do so. Its your life support equipment after all.

The 2 closest Atomic dealers to me are straight MSRP all the way... NO DISCOUNTS. They both claimed Atomic would not allow them to discount the price. So 2 years ago when I switched from Scubapro to Atomic I ended up buying (2) M1, and (2) B2 regulators online and saved about 30 to 35%.

At the time I made sure the closest Atomic LDS knew he lost a BIG sale because he wouldn't budge on his prices. Well recently, in a attempt to support my local dive shop, I decided I would try him again for my son's Atomic Z1 reg. Guess what... MSRP again.. take it or leave it!

Maybe Atomic Aquatics is in violation of Fair Trades laws in their dealer pricing policies. Maybe the dealer was still upset that he didn't get the last sale, or maybe he makes enough selling to the newbies (at full retail) to allow him to blow off the more experienced buyers. I don't know what the truth is, but I do know I don't pay full list price for anything anymore (BTW- I am in business myself, and I do wheel-n-deal on prices with my customers to close a deal).

If your LDS will split the difference between MSRP and Leisurepro I would try to support him... if not then LeisurePro is OK from my past experiences. Good luck.

Hey Jack,

I've bought lots of stuff from Leisure Pro and they've always been completely above board. Nothing but great things to say about them. For example, I bought an 8-cell eLED dive light from them and the first time out, it leaked. I called them up when I got back ready for a fight but before I could even start into my rant, the guy said, "No problem sir, a new one is on it's way." Case closed, no questions asked. Can't really say more than that.

As a side note on the Atomics. I have one (a Z1) and learned something VERY obnoxious about them. You may know this...I didn't so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but I sure wish someone would have told me. They're upstream regs. This means that you can't submerge the 1st stage lower than the 2nd stage (unless it's under pressure) or water will seep past the second stage and into the first stage. What this means to you is that time at the rinse tank will be spent holding the 2nd stage above the 1st stage instead of simply letting things lay as they may for a little soak. This doesn't sound like a big deal but it is a complete PITA (at least for me). It was annoying enough that after one dive season, I bought a new Oceanic Delta 4 to get away from the Atomic's upstream issues. Sad thing is, is that the Atomic is really a great reg. Logistically though, it's a pain.

Just my 2 cents.

Rzrseg:
Hey Jack,

I've bought lots of stuff from Leisure Pro and they've always been completely above board. Nothing but great things to say about them. For example, I bought an 8-cell eLED dive light from them and the first time out, it leaked. I called them up when I got back ready for a fight but before I could even start into my rant, the guy said, "No problem sir, a new one is on it's way." Case closed, no questions asked. Can't really say more than that.

As a side note on the Atomics. I have one (a Z1) and learned something VERY obnoxious about them. You may know this...I didn't so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but I sure wish someone would have told me. They're upstream regs. This means that you can't submerge the 1st stage lower than the 2nd stage (unless it's under pressure) or water will seep past the second stage and into the first stage. What this means to you is that time at the rinse tank will be spent holding the 2nd stage above the 1st stage instead of simply letting things lay as they may for a little soak. This doesn't sound like a big deal but it is a complete PITA (at least for me). It was annoying enough that after one dive season, I bought a new Oceanic Delta 4 to get away from the Atomic's upstream issues. Sad thing is, is that the Atomic is really a great reg. Logistically though, it's a pain.

Just my 2 cents.
I thought most 1st stages are like this. I wouldnt rely on just holding the 2nd stage higher to stop water entering the 1st stage.

Rzrseg:
They're upstream regs.

Nope. It's downstream, like almost all modern regulators.

What they have is a washer spring that backs the orifice off the seat when the regulator is unpressurized. This makes the second stage seat live for a long time, with very little performance degradation over time. It's one of the things that enabled Atomics to first start 2 year service intervals on their regs.

The downside is what you said, a little bit of care in rinsing the regulators. Some people dunk the first stage by itself first, and then the second stage next after taking the first stage out. (I think you meant 1st stage above the second stage, not the other way around, but by using the method just mentioned, no need to hold the regulator above the rinse tank.)
I just rinse them in flowing water while still pressurized, never soak them. I stopped soaking my regulators maybe 5 years ago, and my first B1 that's near 7 years old is still in top condition.

Back
Top Bottom