yet another LeisurePro thread (Atomic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bullzi:
only one online dive shop that I would trust and that is Scubatoys.
Scubatoys sells online? :confused:
COOOL! Next time I won't waste my gas driving a whole 15 miles to shop there!:D
Kinda kills the whole LDSvsOnline debate when Scubatoys IS one of your local LDS's

$599 for a Stiletto is OVER MSRP. It retails for $539.

ScubaToys will NOT sell Atomic products online. It's against Atomic's policy. Stupid policy if you ask me but whatever.

ScubaToys will price match against LP, but that won't do much good on a product they can not sell you.

LP is reliable, reputable, and maybe the single biggest reason that dive gear has come down in price. My last purchases have been with ScubaToys as they are a seriously fine outfit as well. However I'd not hesitate to recommend LP for purchases, and in fact you may not have much choice as authorized Atomic dealers will NOT sell online.

darcyatomic:
LP buys equipment on the gray market usually from someone who is desperate, going out of business and more than likely has been sitting on product for what could be years. We have had upgrades to our equipment and there is no guarentee you are getting the lastest and greatest version. I would also plan sending any regulators you buy there for a full service before use - again you have no idea how long it sat on someones shelf.
think about it.... you're spending a lot of money - make sure it's the real deal, and you have a full manufactures warrnty. Would you buy your Mercedes from an unauthorized dealer?
Darcy Benward
Atomic Aquatics

Darcy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

However LP does not seem to have a difficult time getting Atomic products, so why would you suggest they can not get Atomic parts?

My experience dealing with LP has always been good, how have your experiences with LP been?

LP is also the likely the largest Scuba equipment retailer in the USA, so I doubt most of their inventory is collecting dust. They seem to be able to get anything they want, and I kinda doubt it's coming from desperate out of business retailers. My bet is that it comes from wholesalers, or large non-desperate retailers.

Do regulators go BAD if they sit on a shelf?

Is there a guarantee at my LDS that I'm getting the latest Atomic product? Seems like they sell a whole lot less equipment than LP, so I would think my LDS would be MORE likely to have older products on the shelves, not less?

The internet is changing the way business does business. Even Atomic sells online, but Apparently they are not interested in having their retailers complete.

In this case LP only Saves $75 over an authorized dealer, so one may want to use an authorized LDS.

JackSpearo:
haha we just got schooled!

don't worry Darcy! we will only buy from Atomic dealers!

Speak for yourself! :D

Also, your LDS is LYING to you, and selling ABOVE MSRP (on the Stiletto). I'd find a new LDS. Funny how people assume that LDS=Good, and ONLINE=BAD. My LDS has started selling online, so now I'm confused! :confused:

this LDS is soooo nice though...They are super knowledgeable and professional...

sucks...

I think I'll just get my atomic stuff from them...

Jack!

darcyatomic:
LP buys equipment on the gray market usually from someone who is desperate, going out of business and more than likely has been sitting on product for what could be years.
While I doubt that Darcy's assertion is true in the broad sense, it may very well be the case for Atomic equipment. An occasional look at LP's website (not now, though) will show that they do have trouble keeping Atomic in stock.

My experience with ScubaToys is that they will refer you to your local Atomic dealer if you try to buy from them.

D_B:
where do you get knockoff from what he (darcy) said about non-authorized?

Go ahead buy from LP and take your chances the quality, currentness of model, etc ... if money is all the criteria in which your using as a judge on such a high dolar purchase

The OP had asked "I mean, is this stuff 100% original? or is it knock off?". Darcy didn't address that question and responded that LP is not "authorized". I'm just pointing out the two are not the same thing.

And you try to make the same implication with your reference to "quality". If it's not a knockoff and is an authentic Atomic reg, then it's the same "quality" as one sold by the LDS.

Given the relative volume of sales, I'd be more worried about the currentness of the model from the LDS. And "take your chances" is another subtle negative implication. We've heard from many here on SB who have "taken their chances" at their LDS and got burned.

Wayward Son:
What you don't want to do is pressurize it & blow water into the HP hose to your SPG. It can end up in the SPG itself.

If you have a wrench, remove that hose from the first stage. If you have a plug for the hole, plug it up before adding pressure. Then hold the purge in while opening the tank valve & that will shove most of the water out the LP hose through the 2nd stage. then purge any additional lines to get whatever water ended up in them.

If it's fresh water not much harm. If it's salt water it really needs to be serviced ASAP as the salt will cause corrosion.
Thank you for that explanation!
That may explain why my Oceanic Pro Plus integrated air computer crapped out on me. I bought the regs 2nd hand (no manual) and had them serviced. I think I probably did dunk them in a rinse tank at least once, probably more. I am sure I had the cap on, but not sure if by removing the LP connector from the BC you allow water to flow freely through the hoses.
I did download the manual today after reading this thread. I don't think there was any salt water, just water from the dunk tanks, but who knows what's in them. :confused:
Again.. I appreciate the explanation.

RonFrank:
Is there a guarantee at my LDS that I'm getting the latest Atomic product? Seems like they sell a whole lot less equipment than LP, so I would think my LDS would be MORE likely to have older products on the shelves, not less?

I don't believe for a minute that Atomic is concerned about the length of "shelf time" on a reg bought by a customer. I'll change my opinion if anyone can show they back up the talk with the walk. How about it, LDS owners? Does Atomic require you to sell a reg within xx months of taking delivery? Do they allow you to return a reg that is collecting dust for a full credit?

My guess is Atomic couldn't care less if an "authorized" dealer sold a reg that had been on the shelf for 2 years but would get more upset over LP selling one that had been on the shelf for 2 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom