yet another LeisurePro thread (Atomic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darcyatomic:
Official word from Atomic - LP is not an authorized dealer, your warranty will be void. LP can not get our service parts, if you have any problem that occurs are you okay with another manufactures parts in your expensive regulator? They have not taken our service clinics or are authorized to repair equipment. Eventually you will need it serviced and you're going to need your authorized dealer then so establish that relationship now when you're making that important purchase on high end gear. Don't think LP is going to take as good of care of you or the product as your LDS will...

LP buys equipment on the gray market usually from someone who is desperate, going out of business and more than likely has been sitting on product for what could be years. We have had upgrades to our equipment and there is no guarentee you are getting the lastest and greatest version. I would also plan sending any regulators you buy there for a full service before use - again you have no idea how long it sat on someones shelf.
think about it.... you're spending a lot of money - make sure it's the real deal, and you have a full manufactures warrnty. Would you buy your Mercedes from an unauthorized dealer?
Darcy Benward
Atomic Aquatics

Joseph Stalin would be proud!

All this rhetoric amounts to is "price fixing" pure and simple.

Am I to assume that Atomic actually manufactures the parts that go in their regulators or do they assemble the regulators from parts they BUY from suppliers? What would prevent LP from buying the same parts from the suppliers?

I really like the folks at Scuba Toys and if the price is close enough, I usually swing towards Scuba Toys.

But I don't feel that a Stalinistic sales approach is going make me buy a over-priced piston type regulator from my LDS. I own 8 regulators and all of them are Oceanic.

I repect your opinion, but pleasssse......

Atomic manufactures the demand valve assemblies at their Huntington Beach facility - which is where the entire assembly takes place. The plastic 2nd stage shell is the only item produced outside (an Atomic design exclusively for Atomic, btw).

Rzrseg:
Someone should tell the manufacturer this. The paperwork included with the Reg calls it an upstream reg as do the tech support guys that I called. (Not being sarcastic, if it's not an upstream reg, they shouldn't call it that..but they sure do.)

Which paperwork? The only paperwork that came with the regulators I bought new (1 B1 and 2 M1's over the years) was I think the Atomic stickers and the user manual. (Maybe a warranty card, I don't remember.)
The user manual does not have the word "upstream".

Atomic calls the specific feature you mentioned the "seat saver orifice."

Are you sure you don't have an old Poseidon? :wink:

Thanks Rakkis - Yes, we assemble all metal components ourselves , piston, demand valve, body, swivels, everything metal produced by us in our facilities in Oceanside and Huntington Beach - just to clarify.

darcyatomic:
Thanks Rakkis - Yes, we assemble all metal components ourselves , piston, demand valve, body, swivels, everything metal produced by us in our facilities in Oceanside and Huntington Beach - just to clarify.

Way to address the comments in post 25...

darcyatomic:

What about the non-metal components, o-rings, diaphragms, hardware, etc.? Do you manufacture those? Are the metal components typically replaced in annual service?

We have many different local vendors that supply all the orings etc. The metal components are coved for the lifetime of the original owner. Service on all our regs is every 2 years or 300 dives, at that time the all the orings, washers, etc are replaced and re-lubed. Metal components are not replaced unless defective and then would be covered under warranty (assuming the it's the origional owner and work is done by an authorized dealer).
Hope that helps,
Darcy

darcyatomic:
Official word from Atomic - LP is not an authorized dealer, your warranty will be void. LP can not get our service parts, if you have any problem that occurs are you okay with another manufactures parts in your expensive regulator? They have not taken our service clinics or are authorized to repair equipment. Eventually you will need it serviced and you're going to need your authorized dealer then so establish that relationship now when you're making that important purchase on high end gear. Don't think LP is going to take as good of care of you or the product as your LDS will...

LP buys equipment on the gray market usually from someone who is desperate, going out of business and more than likely has been sitting on product for what could be years. We have had upgrades to our equipment and there is no guarentee you are getting the lastest and greatest version. I would also plan sending any regulators you buy there for a full service before use - again you have no idea how long it sat on someones shelf.
think about it.... you're spending a lot of money - make sure it's the real deal, and you have a full manufactures warrnty. Would you buy your Mercedes from an unauthorized dealer?
Darcy Benward
Atomic Aquatics

Quite frankly, I am a little dismayed by your assessment of LP and build up of LDSs. You know as well as I do that as a manufacturer you can control the price that a LCD charges for your products. You can't do that with LP. While I really don't care that you do want to control the price for the highest return, I and many divers really can't afford your price for an excellent regulator. So, why not let it be and allow the buyer to decide whether to purchase from LP, LDSs or other sources. Unfortunately, I can't afford to purchase from an LDS. So, it is either rent or try to get the best price I can afford. PS - I don't have a Mercedes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom