Yet another Halcyon question (ACB)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just got my ACB (not +) system yesterday. Got it hooked up (more or less) but have a couple questions for those who use this setup.

I threaded the pockets onto my waist strap and secured them to the BP using the screws and nuts provided. I used the hole closest to the pocket.

First issue is that the screws don't seem to tighten up properly. The nut just wants to spin in the BP (this is not a problem with the backplate pouch thing that uses same type nuts). Likely I can get a hold of it with channel locks or something but haven't had time to try that yet. May also use a drop of Locktite.

Second, and main, issue is the long tail on the pocket strap. It has, a couple inches beyond the hole where I secured it to the BP, a second hole and metal grommet. Coincidentally (likely not) they line up with the lower band bolt hole.

I have not yet tried bolting my doubles on with this setup but it seems that this added thickness of the two straps and grommets will likely:

A- make my band bolt no longer long enough
B- push the lower band on the doubles away from the pack (about 1/4" or so, but no longer a truly solid connection it seems)

Have I got this set up right? Are the second holes maybe for very large folks and I should just cut the tails off?

Ran out of time messing with it last night and now hoping to get answers so I can stop for new hardware on the way home if needed, not just too lazy to try the various methods!

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Did you run the tails of the pockets through the backplate, then bend them outward, and secure with the bolts?

If you have the plastic bolt assemblies, don't worry about them spinning freely. All I had to do with mine was push the bolts into the assembly. There's no need to screw them in, but if necessary, you should unscrew instead of yanking out.

Caveat: After double-checking, I have the + system (given the lower capacity and the inability to mount a canister light, you'd think they'd call them the ACB- instead), though the Halcyon rep told me the only difference is the capacity and an extra strap. If there really are major structural differences between the ACB and the ACB+, sorry for wasting your time.

Originally posted by metridium
Did you run the tails of the pockets through the backplate, then bend them outward, and secure with the bolts?

If you have the plastic bolt assemblies, don't worry about them spinning freely.

Hmmmmm..... No, I just laid the tails against the plate (on the outside of the plate) and bolted them on through the first hole (nut directly inserted into plate, screw through grommet.) Tail is just laying out there.

I think I'm visualizing what you mean here and I think I've got them on wrong. Don't suppose you know anywhere this is pictured?

Thank you.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Hmmmmm..... No, I just laid the tails against the plate (on the outside of the plate) and bolted them on through the first hole (nut directly inserted into plate, screw through grommet.) Tail is just laying out there.

I think I'm visualizing what you mean here and I think I've got them on wrong. Don't suppose you know anywhere this is pictured?
Nope, no pictures, sorry.

Try running the tails into the backplate alongside the waist harness, then bending the tails outward and then securing them. They'll end up behind the plate, with only a corner showing from the front.

That will be my answer. No doubt it will also solve the spinning nut and short bolt issues too. Thank you very much.

Tom

Glad to help, Tom. :)

The really "fun" part of setting mine up without a manual was figuring out how to thread those two-part buckles on the tank straps. :confused:

Glad to help, Tom. :)

The really "fun" part of setting mine up without a manual was figuring out how to thread those two-part buckles on the tank straps. :confused:

I don't have a STA, just the Explorer. Someday when I can swing it I'll get one.

Luckily for me, from my years working bots, I know how thread most BC tank buckles!

Tom

Luckily for me, from my years working bots, I know how thread most BC tank buckles!
Wish I'd known how. :eek: I didn't own a tank at the time, nor did I have an illustration of how the two-piece buckles were supposed to work. My previous backplate had the bands already looped on the STA, and I'd never had to take them apart. While setting up the Halcyon I figured, "What the heck, I'll worry about it on the boat. How difficult can it be?" :rolleyes:

It was not intuitive, and definitely no fun.

Live and learn.

:)

Just got my ACB (not +) system yesterday. Got it hooked up (more or less) but have a couple questions for those who use this setup.

Congratulations. I really like mine for my single-tank setup, as it's allows me to have plenty of weight for drysuit diving.

I threaded the pockets onto my waist strap and secured them to the BP using the screws and nuts provided. I used the hole closest to the pocket.

If that's the hole that's parallel to where the waist strap, then it's the right hole. (The other two holes are used for the Halcyon BP pocket.)

First issue is that the screws don't seem to tighten up properly. The nut just wants to spin in the BP (this is not a problem with the backplate pouch thing that uses same type nuts). Likely I can get a hold of it with channel locks or something but haven't had time to try that yet. May also use a drop of Locktite.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine are finger tight, since they don't actually do anything while you are diving. The waist strap holds them on, and the back strap merely keeps them from sliding off the waist strap when donning and doffing the unit.

Second, and main, issue is the long tail on the pocket strap. It has, a couple inches beyond the hole where I secured it to the BP, a second hole and metal grommet. Coincidentally (likely not) they line up with the lower band bolt hole.

I'm confused. Does your 'tail' have two holes/two grommets? If so, mine (bought at Christmas) has only one hold.

How are you securing the pockets to the plate with bolts/nuts, if not using the 'tail'?

In any case, Halcyon's BP manual contains mounting instructions for the ACB/ACB+ pockets.

http://www.halcyon.net/manuals/MC2001_online.pdf

This may help.

Nate

Live and learn.

:)

Exactly my thinking. I got home and attached the ACB with your method, it's clearly correct. I hate it when I totally screw the pooch :)

Thanks again.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom