Yet another gear setup critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmanning

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning on buying my first set of dive gear, and I want to make sure it will be good enough to last me for a while. My lds carries alot of aeris stuff and the owner is willing to cut quite a deal. I know it may be a little corny matching and all, but I was thinking about this setup:

Aeris Atmos Lx BCD
Aeris At400 pro regulator w/dvt
Aeris A1 octo
slightly used x1 pressure guage
Aeris xr1 computer (air only for now, but for $133 it will hold me until I get nitrox certified)

Buying your first set of gear ideally will encourage you to dive more, so good for you. Back-inflate BC is a good idea. Reg is fine, and who cares about maching or 'corny' - it is what works for you that counts. The only question might be why you wouldn't spend a little more to get a nitrox-capable computer to start with ($133 for the xr1 appears to be a very good deal), and do nitrox sooner rather than later. Or, hold off on the computer and use a cheap watch as a bottom timer until you do nitrox.

I would have to agree with the above advice concerning the nitrox capable computer. I would look at the Oceanic VEO 100NX or 180. For a little more change up front, you save yourself from buying a higer-end computer in 2 years when you decide to take a nitrox class. The reg is fine, the SPG is fine, the BC is fine if it fits well and you feel comfortable in it underwater. I have no experience with Aeris regs or BC but my backup computer is an Atmos 2 which I use just as much as the more expensive Suunto unit.

I agree with the two replies above. Spend a little more and get Nitrox. You will be very happy that you did, and it will encourage you to get nitrox certified sooner, rather than later. I know Aries makes some quality products, but I can't comment on the specific items you are looking at. And don't worry about cheesy and not all your gear matching. Have you seen any tech divers around lately? If not you will see guys at the top of the sport with some of the most mismatched gear ever. Just go dive and have fun!

Thanks for your input guys. I may see about getting a nitrox computer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good one that is 300 or less?

What about the dive rite nitek plus - it is small, does nitrox and is $300?

Try the Veo 100nx from Oceanic. You could get either the module or the wrist setup for under $300.00. Aeris and Oceanic computers are both made by Pelagic.

divers supply has the veo 180 for 250.00,just bought one a month ago,have 6 dives on it so far,everything has been great,love the oversized numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom