Yet another drysuit "what to buy" question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn once bubbled...
I certainlly want to shop around, and get the best quality for my hard earned cash, though. Thanks for the pointer to 5thD, UP.
I just thought you ought to do some comparison shopping... I'm not saying you should get a suit from 5thD or anywhere else... but your new... and you need some exposure to other LDS offerings.

Now having said what I did about OSS.... perhaps they have... no... undoubtedly they have improved... or they would not still be in business... so I am not nixing them... just want you to shop.

One other thing to consider though.... there is a world of difference in undergarments. Just because one is included doesn't mean it is the best one for you! Shopping for undergarments is just as important as shopping for a suit though most folks don't understand that. The suit keeps you dry... but it is the undergarment keeps you warm!

If you do find a suit that you like and it comes without undergarments then you should check out the polarfleece ones from Softwear here in Lake Stevens. Janice will make them to your measurements and they are a very good price.

bedazzle410,
I have a Whites Aqua Pro. Bought the suit new, custom sized for me. I had some quality control problems with it(wrist seals were not properly applied). Suit was sent back twice and it still leaked. I finally took the suit up to the factory myself. Frank White(owner) took very good care of me. No problems with the suit now and I've got a few dives on it. For general diving, I think it will hold up ok. I'm a SAR diver and I've already put a couple of holes in it crawling around on the bottom searching for a weapon(drill). This was of couse not the suits fault. I'm kind of wishing I would have got a Amron suit. A couple of the guys I dive with when I go over to the coast have them and these guys dive a lot with no problems.

I know zero about the OS suits. I'd also agree with the statement made that the LDS should not be the one telling you what gear you can and can't have. You see, my closest shop is about 4 hours away as I DO live out in the sticks!!

YMMV

Pete

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I just thought you ought to do some comparison shopping... I'm not saying you should get a suit from 5thD or anywhere else... but your new... and you need some exposure to other LDS offerings.

[snip]

If you do find a suit that you like and it comes without undergarments then you should check out the polarfleece ones from Softwear here in Lake Stevens. Janice will make them to your measurements and they are a very good price.
I understand totally, UP. You gave me exactly what I was looking for in my original post; opinions. Just from reading posts and the archives before I posted my questions, I could see there are quite a few options. the most commonly discussed were DUI (I read that every time a Driving Under the Influence, LOL), Whites and Andy's. My only firsthand experience with a drysuit was watching my instrutor use his OS Systems on my cert dives, and his recommending them to me.

I'm actually planning on running up to 5thD today, and checking their suits out firsthand. I'll most likely check some other Tacoma shops while I'm out as well.

Thanks for the pointer to Softwear, too. I'll check them out if I need to get undergarments.

Lastly, regarding your comments on OS Systems suits; notice that another poster also mentioned that it seemed as if they would rip easilly. To be honest, I was wondering about that myself after looking at them at the LDS on Tuesday.

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom