Yet another drysuit "what to buy" question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn

Reaction score
OK, I was at my LDS the other day, looking at dry suits. I want to get my NAUI AOW, and my instructor said he would throw in the drysuit specialty course with my advanced course, if I wanted to get a drysuit.

I know exactly squat about these things, but I've been reading the last few days on here. I have only seen a couple mentions of OS Systems (the brand my LDS carries, and my instructor dives), fortunately nothing bad, though. I am defninitely thinking about getting the OS Systems suit (I don't remember the name of the model, but it's the front entry one that runs about $1400 retail). Any comments, pro or con, on OS Systems before I drop a tonne of cash? Should I seriously look at other brands before buying (where to go in Tacoma for that?)? Thanks in advance!

Jimmie

OS Systems makes great suits and they are made in Oregon so if you did have a problem getting it fixed wouldn't be hard. Also check out USIA suits if you have a chance, they too are made locally (Oregon).

I know several people with OS System suits and they are very happy with them. I would get the heaviest material you can just because if you are going to dive in the Pacific Northwest you will end up in Oyster beds at some point and they do chew up dry suits!

I don't know of any shops in the Tacoma area but I know there are several in Seattle and Olympia.

If in doubt take the Dry Suit course and rent a suit (ask if they will take the rental price off the purchase of a suit).

Good luck,
Scott

I have a buddy who just purchased a OS Systems drysuit, the self-entry shell suit. It came with the shell, all undergarments and bag for about $1000. They seem to be good quality, however, it looks like they could be easily ripped or damaged on sharp or jagged objects. I looked at them as well, but decided on a White's compressed neoprene (Nuytpro) suit. It appears to be much more rugged and I liked diving in the neoprene suit better. White's is located in BC, so they are fairly local and are carried in quite a few places around the Puget Sound area.
HTH
Bryan

I just came from my local LDS I told him I want a DUI suit. His responce was as I anticipated we don't sell DUI and if you get one from another shop yuo are not supporting us and I can't let you in our Dive Master program etc. They sell Whites and I was thinking about a Whites Catalyst custom. I want to stay with this shop because the next nearest shop is to far away and the lead instructor in the local shop is very good. Does any one have a Catalyst and if so how do they like it and what are they going for ie. how much off retail.

So basically your local dive shop tells you that your going to do with your money. In essence, you can’t have what you want, you will have what we want you to have. Wont let you in the DM program because of the dry suit you want ?
I think it’s time to find another dive shop.

My wife says the same thing time to find another LDS. The trouble is that we in the woods and their are not any close.

I had a couple of OSS suits... but that was quite a while back and maaaaybe they have improved. These were bi-lam not tri-lam but they really should have been called de-lam.

Anyway... $1400 is a bit much for them I expect. There are certainly other options out there and Tacoma isn't exactly out in the sticks... take a drive to Kent and talk to the folks at 5thD... and then hit some of the other shops in Bellvue and Seattle.

Bedazzle your situation really stinks. Where are you located... how far out in the sticks?

I'm in Monticello, N.Y.
I spoke with the V.P. at Whites and posed the question why a Whites and not a DUI. He was pretty convicing but he sells them so he was anything but impartial. I am in the negotiation stage with my LDS. I am still open as to what dry suit to buy and have no problem with the whites if it is as good as Whites says. I will not buy a Whites to appease my LDS. I will buy it if it is as good as a DUI. I need info on what suit to buy from people with no agenda.

I haven't used Whites. I have the Ocean ic Aerdura and love it. But my lds does DUI and the CF200 is a major suit in there. I'd guess 1 every week-10 days goes out the door there. Sig series, custom fit, kevlar(big whoop) knee pads, leg pockes, you choise of about a dozed accent colors (I have seen the orange and it is super hi viz-very cool). 90% of what I see people diving here is DUI.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I had a couple of OSS suits... but that was quite a while back and maaaaybe they have improved. These were bi-lam not tri-lam but they really should have been called de-lam.

Anyway... $1400 is a bit much for them I expect. There are certainly other options out there and Tacoma isn't exactly out in the sticks... take a drive to Kent and talk to the folks at 5thD... and then hit some of the other shops in Bellvue and Seattle.

[snip]

Just looking quickly at 5thD's website, they don't have any pricing on their drysuits. Also, I can't tell if things like undergarments, etc are included with the purchase. I'll have to pop up there sometime soon and check them out, though. I do have to admit; now that I'm no longer commuting on the freeway to work, I hate having to go North for anything. :wink: Even worse, their Kent shop is on East hill, meaning a drive on 167. :(

The thing I liked about OS Systems (other than my dive instructor has one, and likes it) was that it is an inclusive package. From their website: All BEST DEAL SYSTEMS include: drysuit shell (HDPRO, Nautilus, Delta or SARR), SiTech valves(w/hose), choice of undergarment system, Fleece socks, Fleece Hat, Velcro Hood, Drysuit Bag, Neck Ring, and Zipease. I was looking at the Nautilus at my LDS, fyi.

I certainlly want to shop around, and get the best quality for my hard earned cash, though. Thanks for the pointer to 5thD, UP.

Jimmie

Back
Top Bottom