Yet another dry suit weight question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Them

Contributor
Reaction score
My search has turned up a bunch of these questions, all answered, but they always start from what is to me an unfamiliar point of reference because those divers are usually coming from a wet suit I don't have.

So here's my frame of reference: I am OK weight wise in my SS BP/W, HP100, and 3mm booties, no exposure suit and no lead. OK means a couple pounds heavy at 500psi in fresh water.

I now have a tri-lam dry suit. Haven't used it yet but I have it.

I know I will need lead but I have no idea how much to buy or in what sizes. I talked to an instructor earlier today (signing up for dry suit training) who gave an off-the-cuff estimate of 40 pounds and then kept revising it down. He revised it down a bit when he realized my BP was SS, and more with the steel cylinder, and more because my suit wasn't neoprene, but it was left as "bring enough" without really committing to a specific weight.

Aforementioned instructor suggested I also look at weight harnesses but stopped short of advising me one way or the other. He didn't specify the DUI weight & trim harness by name but that's the sort of system me meant.

Oh, I have three pairs of weights (1lb, 2lb, and 3lb for a total of 12lb). I have a weight belt and two trim weight pockets on my upper tank band. None of this has been touched since I got my steel cylinder. I could buy six 5lb weights but is that the right move?

Thanks

With medium thick underwear, you'll probably need about 25 pounds more than what's neutral in a bathing suit.
So if you're five pounds overweighted with your current rig, I'd guess you'll need about 20 pounds.
If you've read the other threads you know this weight is a SWAG, and can vary a lot with how much underwear you wear and how much loft you're comfortable with.
Rick

By "not neoprene", I gather you are using some kind of shell suit? In which case, how much weight you need depends totally on the undergarment you are using. I go from 7 lbs with an aluminum plate and double Al80s in fresh, warm water, to 31 lbs in Puget Sound, and it's all the difference in undergarment.

The only people I've ever seen need 40 lbs of weight are very tall, very big people using neoprene suits. For Puget Sound temperatures, which require pretty thick insulation, something in the 25 to 35 pound range works; in SoCal, they generally don't wear down sleeping bags under their dry suits, and they need less weight. In Florida, with 200g insulation, I use about half what I do at home.

Tell us your rough height/weight statistics, what kind of suit you are diving and what undergarment you are using, and we might be able to ballpark it. But the best strategy is to borrow or rent a bunch of weights in various denominations, and spend an hour or so doing a really good, formal weight check.

With medium thick underwear, you'll probably need about 25 pounds more than what's neutral in a bathing suit.
So if you're five pounds overweighted with your current rig, I'd guess you'll need about 20 pounds.
If you've read the other threads you know this weight is a SWAG, and can vary a lot with how much underwear you wear and how much loft you're comfortable with.
Rick

That's more what I had been expecting to hear. I was kinda thrown by the 40lbs estimate, before it started ratcheting down. And yes, a SWAG is what I'm looking for. I mainly want to make sure I beg/borrow/buy enough lead to actually dive the suit and learn to use it optimally. I don't want more than I'll ever use for obvious reasons, but I also know about false economy.

By "not neoprene", I gather you are using some kind of shell suit?

Yes, a shell.

The word "fat" would not be wrong. 6' tall, 7.75" wrists, stumpy legs, big head, and long torso. I wear XL street clothes. I haven't weighed myself in awhile or I'd be more precise but I'm sure I'm still over 260. Change is slow.

I don't know enough about how the undergarment weight translates to warmth in the water so I can't give an educated answer about that. I do know it will start with base layers and not much else to get me through training, and I can add as I go from there.

The first ocean diving I do will almost certainly in my home waters, next time I make it back to them.

That would be SoCal.

Agreed on the weight check. I want to have some ideas going in so I have some confidence I've got enough weight (and the right gear for carrying that weight) that a weight check can be done,

... SoCal...
Normal water temps run from high 50's to high 60's. 200g polartec is sufficient for most folks... that qualifies as "medium" weight - so I'd stick with my 20 pound guesstimate for starters.
As for "buying too much," lead's like other scuba gear... a lot is good, more is better and too much is just right.
:)
Rick

Hi them

i have a dui tls350.. i am 6 ft and 250# when i use the polarstretch 300 undergarment i need 38# of weight to comp for it. when i use a polar stretch 100 garment i need 23#
hope this helps some.

My search has turned up a bunch of these questions, all answered, but they always start from what is to me an unfamiliar point of reference because those divers are usually coming from a wet suit I don't have.

So here's my frame of reference: I am OK weight wise in my SS BP/W, HP100, and 3mm booties, no exposure suit and no lead. OK means a couple pounds heavy at 500psi in fresh water.

I know I will need lead but I have no idea how much to buy or in what sizes. I talked to an instructor earlier today (signing up for dry suit training) who gave an off-the-cuff estimate of 40 pounds and then kept revising it down. He revised it down a bit when he realized my BP was SS, and more with the steel cylinder, and more because my suit wasn't neoprene, but it was left as "bring enough" without really committing to a specific weight.

Aforementioned instructor suggested I also look at weight harnesses but stopped short of advising me one way or the other. He didn't specify the DUI weight & trim harness by name but that's the sort of system me meant.

Oh, I have three pairs of weights (1lb, 2lb, and 3lb for a total of 12lb). I have a weight belt and two trim weight pockets on my upper tank band. None of this has been touched since I got my steel cylinder. I could buy six 5lb weights but is that the right move?

Thanks

why not rent a weightbelt and spare weights from your LDS. Spend an hour or so playing with different configurations, positions and amounts. Then buy what you need.

Not to hijack. But I have the same question. Not running a BP/W though.

Mares Dragon BC, 7mm Farmer John Wetsuit, and Al80 tanks (For now). I need about 35-40 pounds of lead, havnt had time to nail down any further. I am looking at either a 2mm Abyss Drysuit, or some kind of shell suit. What is your opinion on lead? I am 6'3, 250lb if that helps.

The sad answer is that "nobody knows how much weight you really need." You'll need to take the suit and your hood and gloves and equipment and whatever else you're wearing, and about 40 pounds worth of small weights and a weight harness and get in the water with a mostly empty tank (~500PSI) and have your buddy give you weights to drop into your weight harness until you just sink.

Then you'll have your answer.

The amount you need depends entirely on your water displacement, which depends on how thick your underwear is and if you're feeling gaseous on that day (maybe had a giant bean burrito and a 64 ounce soda for lunch) :cool:

I use 14 pounds with a sweatshirt and sweatpants, 18 pounds with my thin underwear, 26 with my medium underwear and 36 with my heavy underwear, drygloves and a thick hood. But these numbers really only apply to me. Yours will be different.

When you finally figure out what you need, buy lots of small weights, not just a few big weights. keeping 40 pounds in your weight bag isn't unreasonable, since you'll lose one now and then, or maybe your buddy needs a few pounds or whatever. I'd suggest (4) 5 Lb, (2) 3Lb, (6) 2Lb & (2) 1Lb weights.

edit:

I see you're on the larger side. You might actually need a little more than 40. When you do your buoyancy check you might want to bring 50 with you. I've never seen anybody that needed more than 50 pounds to sink, including a guy who was over 400 pounds. Also, definitely go with a good weight harness like the DUI weight and trim. You won't be able to keep a weight-belt on, and you don't want a cheap weight harness where the weights might accidentally release.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom