Yet another dry suit weight question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek: :)

Is the DUI harness a good choice, or are you mostly paying for the name? I have a perfectly good weight belt that I got before I bought my HP100 and don't use. Right now I use no ditchable weight though I'm not opposed to the idea.

As far as buy vs. rent.... the lake where I'll do my weight checking and training has a guy renting weights. However, I'd prefer to ballpark it myself and buy what I think will be enough, and give my weight system a dry run before even driving out to the lake. That is 75% convenience, 20% that the educational exercise is more effective with a real-world test at the end, and 5% that I just don't like renting stuff if I have a choice.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

:eek: :)

Is the DUI harness a good choice, or are you mostly paying for the name? I have a perfectly good weight belt that I got before I bought my HP100 and don't use. Right now I use no ditchable weight though I'm not opposed to the idea.

As far as buy vs. rent.... the lake where I'll do my weight checking and training has a guy renting weights. However, I'd prefer to ballpark it myself and buy what I think will be enough, and give my weight system a dry run before even driving out to the lake. That is 75% convenience, 20% that the educational exercise is more effective with a real-world test at the end, and 5% that I just don't like renting stuff if I have a choice.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

The short answer is "If you need a weight harness, I'd absolutely go with the DUI"

It will absolutely, without fail hold your weights and not accidentally drop them. There are a lot of cheaper harnesses that eventually get soft and the velcro gives out and you'll find yourself on a ride to the surface as one of your pouches drops to the bottom. The DUI doesn't do this. Also, if you get the "classic" model, it's adjustable for height and position, so if you need to move your weights up or down or foreward or back, you can do it.

If you're "round in the middle" (your hips are the same size or smaller than your waist, you will not be able to keep a 30-40Lb+ weight-belt on. It's going to slide down, then off and will give you no end of problems. If you wrench it on tight enough to stay put, it's going to trap air in your legs and make it difficult to vent your suit.

As to your actual question of needing a harness, the answer is I don't know. It depends on if you have somewhere else to keep your weights and how much weight you end up needing. I suggested borrowing the harness initially for doing your weight check because it's easy to open the pockets and add more weights.

Whether you need ditchable weight or not depends on how likely you think it is that you'll have a BC and suit failure that would make you unable to remain positively buoyant on the surface. It's sort of a personal decision. I like having ditchable weights, but others don't. Also, it depends on how much weight you end up needing and where you can put it. You may not have a choice.

flots.

If you're "round in the middle" (your hips are the same size or smaller than your waist,....

No, my hips and chest are larger than my waist. My genetic makeup seems to run to stumpy legs (29" inseam), normal arms (my reach is about 6', bicep circumference about 16".), relative shortness (I'm about 6' tall), all of which adds up to me weighing solidly over 200lbs when I was as fit as I've ever been.

No, my hips and chest are larger than my waist. My genetic makeup seems to run to stumpy legs (29" inseam), normal arms (my reach is about 6', bicep circumference about 16"), relative shortness (I'm about 6' tall), all of which adds up to me weighing solidly over 200lbs when I was as fit as I've ever been.

You might be able to use a weightbelt. Try both and see which works better and which you like.

BTW, if you go with a weight belt, make sure it has a metal buckle. The plastic buckles sometimes "disassemble" making the belt ditch itself.

flots.

BTW, if you go with a weight belt, make sure it has a metal buckle. The plastic buckles sometimes "disassemble" making the belt ditch itself.

The belt I own/don't currently use has a stainless buckle... I wasn't impressed with the plastic buckle I used during OW training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom