Yet another doubles question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the doubles for rec dives or deeper stuff? I put my first set of doubles together with the former in mind for now. I can basically do any two non-deco dives on these cylinders given my SAC (later they'll be fine for ONE tech dive to 150-160'), maintaining RB for me and my buddy at all times. Worthington LP85s were cheap ($200/per; way cheaper than HP100s). When I need it I can also push them higher than 2640 (at 3000 they are basically 100s). For me they trim out beautifully (6'0, 170#).

For deeper stuff, I will get HP130s. For my size, those would not be fun, just necessary (assuming TWO tech dives on one set to 150-160'). The 85s are just fine from the shore, where I'd personally not want to bring cylinders much bigger.

Using a Sea Elite manifold (bought cheap; few turns to shut down), and Highland bands. Happy with both.

I am 6"3' and 220ish. I use double Faber Fx 133. They trim out nice and are physically the same size as Faber 108 (roughly). I like the length of the tank for my torso and with the weight of them you won't need any extra weight on you. I tried Lp 95's and they weren't bad but getting into a set of those for a tall guy is not fun. Trimming them out is a challenge to. Some of the other reasons I got the Fx 133 was A) low pressure fills equal 108 (roughly), B) I would be able to get high pressure fills when available, C) Got a killer deal through TDL. PM me if you have any questions or want to try them out.

Sorry for not getting bacl sooner, I have been rather busy with my other hobby, I mean job. As for the gear I have almost everything I need, just missing a second mk17 to use as a reg, already setup with the long hoses and the bp, I should have included that info in my original post. Also my current plans with diving are to start going deeper for longer and to eventualy get into tech/wreck and then hopefully cave.

I plan on taking fundies here in the next few months, it was offered here in Phoenix but I was unable to attend the course due to cash being wiped out from a Bahamas trip for a week. As for the double tanks I have access to two free lp95's from my boss that he no longer uses, just need to be hydro'd and vip, there just out of date, and the manifold I can pick up rather cheaply through a friend.

The drysuit I think will be my first purchase here in the next month or so, and then the tanks/wings althought the more I think about it the double 95 wouldn't be to bad since they would be free, maybe I will pick them up and just go from there, I can always sell them if I don't like them.

The lifting of the over size tanks is not a problem, just might be a bit awkward at first.

I appreciate all the advice and I hope that maybe some more will be given out.
Just noticed Scibawally is from my neck of the woods, well a bit farther south, but nice to see a fellow maritimer on the board. I am from New Brunswick myself.

Aaen

For me double LP 95's are too short. I am constantly doing headstands. The longer E8-130 is a better choice for me, and I think it would be for you as well. A single LP95 is fine, but double them up and fill them with gas and they are just too heavy up top and I end up fighting them for the entire dive, even with a light weight plate.

Mark Vlahos

They definitely *might* be too top heavy, but if they're free, I'd at least strap them on and give them a shot! Can always add a tail weight, raise the bands, and drop the wing. Not saying it will work, but I'd at least try.

Rainer:
They definitely *might* be too top heavy, but if they're free, I'd at least strap them on and give them a shot! Can always add a tail weight, raise the bands, and drop the wing. Not saying it will work, but I'd at least try.

Raise the wing, i.e. move the wing up relative to the plate, move the tanks down relative to the plate, checking to maintain valve access.

There are also wings made that offer more lift closer to the divers shoulders.

Good luck, you can most likely make them work, lots of people do.

Tobin

Thanks everyone,

After further consideration I think I am going to get the lp95 that are free sell them to a buddy of mine, and then use the extra cash to purchase the hp130's. I thank all of you for the advice and if there should be an further advice feel free to send it my way. Or if anyone should now of a soils engineerign job opening up in an area that actually has a coastline instead of this awful desert, please feel free to send that my way as well.

Sorry to kind of take this thread in a different direction but what realy grinds my gears is when people automatically presume that I am a gas hog because I am 260lbs, yes I am a big fella, but that does not mean i am a gas hog, I can stay down with some of my buddie who way a buck fifty if that, for jsut as long, maybe longer. Sorry had to get that off my chest had a stressful day at work, and i am going to go to the gym to see if I can add another 10-15lbs onto my frame so that i will have to just cart around a giant air cylinder.

I think i am going to have to trademark that saying, what grinds my gears or maybe start a weekly column or something, well maybe after I get a better grasp of the english language, darn engineering.

Aaen

I'm ten pounds lighter than you, and your height. LP95s tend to make me head heavy with a SS plate. LP108s are nearly ideal for me. Plenty gas, good length, great buoyancy characteristics.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom