Yet another A620 housing and strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoopy:
Ah yes.

It is a natural progression of equipment,

1st the camera, then the housing

then the strobe & arms etc etc....

the wishlist goes on....

But I want to keep things simple....
I hear you. I just want to use the camera in the Ike housing, in Macro mode, with the diffuser, and get decent shots. Until I can afford a strobe at a later date... at least a few months and a lot of diving from now! Apparently, no one [reading these threads] has ever tried this. Very frustrating.

CompuDude:
I hear you. I just want to use the camera in the Ike housing, in Macro mode, with the diffuser, and get decent shots. Until I can afford a strobe at a later date... at least a few months and a lot of diving from now! Apparently, no one [reading these threads] has ever tried this. Very frustrating.

OK I have posted two pictures in my gallery. This will help you see that the flash is obstructed. I took a test picture in my livingroom and the right side of the picture was properly exposed and the left was dark (due to the flash being obstructed). With the diffuser it got a little bit better, but not much. I would suggest getting a strobe. To save money, I purchased a sealife SL960D until I can afford a better strobe. I am pleased with the results.

CompuDude:
I hear you. I just want to use the camera in the Ike housing, in Macro mode, with the diffuser, and get decent shots. Apparently, no one [reading these threads] has ever tried this. Very frustrating.

Very much not true. Many of us started with very similar set ups and added a strobe later. It's just that many of us now have strobes and don't often shoot without them :wink:

Calypsonick has the best collection I can think of to illustrate the potential here on SB - check out his gallery from last year when he was shooting his camera with internal flash ONLY, no external strobe.

CanIke1.JPG

It is blocked. Ouch....

Snoopy:
It is blocked. Ouch....

Dang, I thought it was only blocked partially and the diffuser helped with that! I can't seem to keep all the models straight anymore - need to go diving!!

Have you checked with Ike? I thought I saw something somewhere that DID let you use the Ike & 620 with internal only.......

midwestdvr:
Regarding the lenses, if you have a bayonet mount lens, you can't use it with the Ike housing. Ike housing only takes 67mm threaded lenses.

Isn't there an adaptor? I had to get the adaptor for the Fuji 810 Ike housing to USE my threaded lenses.

alcina:
Very much not true. Many of us started with very similar set ups and added a strobe later. It's just that many of us now have strobes and don't often shoot without them :wink:

Calypsonick has the best collection I can think of to illustrate the potential here on SB - check out his gallery from last year when he was shooting his camera with internal flash ONLY, no external strobe.
Just looked. Beautiful shots, although he's using an Oly C8080, not a Canon S80. It's encouraging that at least some Ike cases seem to work (based on his July 2005 shots). But each housing is different, as is each camera. :(

Unfortunately, you made my point (although I could have phrased it better) in pointing out that most people who start without a strobe eventually add one. As will I. That's why no one can answer my question directly, though! I was just trying to find some solid info that would help me out for the next month or so until I can get a strobe, too. :) Looks like no one using the S80 is in my boat at the moment, however.

No sweat, regardless. I very much appreciate your efforts to help. I played around with the camera in the housing in the living room a bit tonight, and it looks like it MAY be at least tolerable for my trip this weekend. We'll see for sure soon enough...

Well. Guess I will have to draw my own conclusion and steps here.

Will go for the original canon housing as a start, as I will be "without strobe" option and needed to start somewhere.

Will then recharge my bank account for the housing for my 300D and the strobe + arm. If I am going to add strobe(s), might as well do it all the way..... and be done away with all the attachments etc etc, which could be a "finally more expensive" solution

and I may having golden hair by then, hanging on (still) to this golden dream.... :clock:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom