Yet another A620 housing and strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2fishfork

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased an A620 and now want to buy a housing. I like the Ikelite, but their web page says that the lens port blocks the flash. Since the strobe is something I want to get at a later date as funds are available, I'm wondering if I can even use the Ikelite without a strobe. On the otherhand you can use the WP-DC90 without a strobe.

Anybody taking reasonable pictures with either the Ikelite or WP-DC90 without a strobe?

I think that the Ike does block the strobe and that you will need an external strobe to get the most out of the system or you will be limited to at best, shadows in your frame, at worst natural light only. Which isn't terrible, you can use manual white balance and no flash at all...but it is limiting.

I use the A620 with the WP-DC90 and an external strobe. I am very happy with the housing. You could use the camera without the external strobe. If you take macro pictures it works fine. But if you have a little distance to the object, you will have backscatter. My problem with the WP-DC90 is that you can't buy any lenses. I will switch to the ikelite pretty soon. Just because I like to use wideangle lenses. If you don't care about wideangle take the WP-DC90. By the way they sell the ikelite housing for $260 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=IK6140.62&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=416516

Tiefseetaucher:
I use the A620 with the WP-DC90 and an external strobe. I am very happy with the housing. You could use the camera without the external strobe. If you take macro pictures it works fine. But if you have a little distance to the object, you will have backscatter. My problem with the WP-DC90 is that you can't buy any lenses. I will switch to the ikelite pretty soon. Just because I like to use wideangle lenses. If you don't care about wideangle take the WP-DC90. By the way they sell the ikelite housing for $260 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=IK6140.62&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=416516

Just because a wide angle lens will physically thread on the housing doesn't mean it is going to produce results that will justify the added expense. Purchasing from a knowledgable retailer will help you avoid such pitfalls...

I've only been diving in Curacao since i've been living here for the past year. So mostly i'm diving in very clear water. Down to 10m i hardly use a strobe. Deeper i try to use a strobe only for macros. The built in strobe can cause backscatter. For macros on the other hand the strobe seems to work very well.

Some pictures with internal strobe :
shrimp
balloon

without strobe :
seahorse at approx 8 m

I have a question....now i have a canon A95....with the DC90 housing...does the A620 fit in this housing for the A95???

Scuba65:
I have a question....now i have a canon A95....with the DC90 housing...does the A620 fit in this housing for the A95???
I don't know about the actual camera fitting inside the housing but the housing buttons won't match to the camera buttons so you won't be able to access the camera functions.

thanks so much for that info. i have the A95 as you know..but, i was thinking of getting an A620.

Also....i take it the uwl-105AD fits the A620?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom