Yes, Verizon does have Free Mexico Roaming plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prior to traveling to Playa Del Carmen for my honeymoon I called Verizon reps several times. I was trying to make sure that I had the appropriate "plan" for making calls back to the States. I was very specific with the reps in times, dates and places we would travel. The reps assured me I was good to go and there would be asolutely no additional charges at all.

There were a few dialing prolems while in Mexico, which should have been my first clue that I was being charged a fortune for every minute I was on the phone.

I'm a business owner and had to stay in touch with my crew leader.

Upon my return, I got something like a $400 bill for the month, we were two weeks in Mexico.

It was a nightmare trying to get the confusion fixed and the charges reversed.

I've had other problems with Verizon recently and have since left them for A T & T.

Verizon's customer service SUCKS!

Be DAMN sure to get the name of the rep that you talk to and take copious notes about the conversation to cover yourself. Better yet just ask/demand to speak to a manager right outta the gate and save yourself the hassle.

I've never had an issue with Verizon customer service, they even call me when I get close to my max minutes and ask of I want to go to the next higher plan. They've done this several times then I switch back the following month. I'd never use AT&T their sevice is terrible i.e. no coverage and they are rated worst in customer service for several years. I also like a company that keeps it's customer service in the USA and not farm it out to India or some other 3rd world nation.

Last edited:
We had a VODA phone and used Windows Live or a calling card to phone home. We just kept buying the minutes we needed and are saving the phone for the next time. It worked well for us. Jed spent 6 months and I got to visit for 5 weeks.
Your mother certainly has a great view to wake up to everyday! She must be very happy.

As an aside, Vodacom prepaid minutes expire after three months of inactivity - you will have to get a new SIM.

Yes, that's quite a view and ALSO some great diving about 10 minutes south of there. Water is darn cold though.

I've never had an issue with Verizon customer service, they even call me when I get close to my max minutes and ask of I want to go to the next higher plan. They've done this several times then I switch back the following month. I'd never use AT&T their sevice is terrible i.e. no coverage and they are rated worst in customer service for several years. I also like a company that keeps it's customer service in the USA and not farm it out to India or some other 3rd world nation.

Tee hee...tThat is so funny. Verizon has the largest footprint of all the carriers in India. Remember that they are partly owned by Voda Group. Where DID you get you info from? I personally worked on some of the routing for their call centers in Hyderabad, Mumbai and Bangalore. As for this myth that they have better coverage than AT&T, it varies from state to state. Each have their strengths. You'd better get rid of that Verizon phone now that you know they have support employees elsewhere.

As an aside, Vodacom prepaid minutes expire after three months of inactivity - you will have to get a new SIM.

Yes, that's quite a view and ALSO some great diving about 10 minutes south of there. Water is darn cold though.

We saved the phone, the minutes are all used up. Phone might be obsolete by the time Jed gets back to Capetown. We did a shark cage dive and yes, the water is freezing!

Be DAMN sure to get the name of the rep that you talk to and take copious notes about the conversation to cover yourself. Better yet just ask/demand to speak to a manager right outta the gate and save yourself the hassle.
My suggestions in post one were stronger, including getting the discussion noted in your records, then calling back to confirm they're there.

I'm new to Verizon, just learning about them after the merger, but ATT wireless (formerly Cingular) really sucks in this part of Texas. They just buy airtime from the local B channels co-ops in many areas, then cancel you if you use them more than their towers much like with this plan and international use.

I have a verizon storm (blackberry) and for about $5.00 per month I have international service. Not bad at all.

No, not good at all. You don't have any international service. You have the ability to make and receive calls at horribly incredibly high and inflated prices when you travel out of the USA. Check the rates with Verizon before you travel. And good luck getting that info. They will do their best to conceal the real rates (WITH taxes and hidden fees) - it's a nightmare. If you choose to ignore this warning and travel with your VZW whilst abroad, I can recommend an excellent bankruptcy attorney when you return!

We saved the phone, the minutes are all used up. Phone might be obsolete by the time Jed gets back to Capetown. We did a shark cage dive and yes, the water is freezing!

Phone cannot become obsolete. Advantage of GSM. Just get a new SIM. I still have a Nokia phone from waaaaay back that I use in SA.

Back
Top Bottom