Yes..another DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulB

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, bear with me here, I'm obviously not DIR so I don't know......do DIR divers use a snorkle?

PaulB once bubbled...
Ok, bear with me here, I'm obviously not DIR so I don't know......do DIR divers use a snorkle?
It makes it too hard to donate the long hose since it can catch on the snorkle when you pass it.

Thanks O-Ring. That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure! :)

PaulB once bubbled...
Thanks O-Ring. That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure! :)
I tried it once and hooked the hose on my snorkel pretty good...

PaulB once bubbled...

I'm not a DIR diver, but I would consider myself a DIS diver so take this for whatever you feel it's worth. Basicly the DIR standards include: a) not bringing things you don't need on the dive and b) being streamlined.

So think: Do I need a snorkle on this dive? 99+% of the time the answer is going to be no. (Long suface swims over terrain too shallow to be on your back being an example of when you might need one.)

In those rare cases where you would need one ask: Is it streamlined to have a snorkle attached to my mask? The answer is no, of course, so on the rare occations you need one, you would stow it for the dive.

James

Spectre once bubbled...

...Which has a tendancy to take your mask with it...

Is that why you carry a spare mask? :D

I was forced to take a snorkel on a charter in the Keys.

I stuffed it in my wetsuit while the DM watched, and then jumped in the water!

detroit diver once bubbled...
I was forced to take a snorkel on a charter in the Keys.

I stuffed it in my wetsuit while the DM watched, and then jumped in the water!

I was in St. Lucia and the first dive was a shore dive with a "check out". We had to flood out mask and clear it and some other crap. The DM wanted me to have my snorkle so I took it. Instead of flooding my mask I took it off. (I tried to hand it to him but he didn't want it, guess he already had one!) When I put it back on I got the snorkle twisted so I took it off a second time to straightened things out. He was less insistant about the snorkle on later dives.

Cornfed

No I don't wear the snorkel on my mask for the reasons o-ring stated bout deploying the long hose. If I need to take it on my dive I will secure it under my harness over on my left side near my backplate. When I use it I just slip it under my mask strap rather than attaching it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom