Yellowstone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Blower 479

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to go diving in Yellowstone this July. I've already dove the Firehole river and would like to try Yellowstone Lake. Does anyone have any info on the area and where I might find someone to go with.

:bfish:
spiderman:
I'm looking to go diving in Yellowstone this July. I've already dove the Firehole river and would like to try Yellowstone Lake. Does anyone have any info on the area and where I might find someone to go with.

When did you dive the firehole?

I remember hearing somewhere that diving was prohibited on yellowstone lake (except for official or approved commercial purposes) Why, I don't know. Don't quote me on this but it's just what I remember hearing. You might want to get in touch with the park service and see what the regulations are.
My info may very well be outdated or wrong.

If you find out anything let me know,

SD :10:

SD40T-2:
:bfish:

When did you dive the firehole?

I remember hearing somewhere that diving was prohibited on yellowstone lake (except for official or approved commercial purposes) Why, I don't know. Don't quote me on this but it's just what I remember hearing. You might want to get in touch with the park service and see what the regulations are.
My info may very well be outdated or wrong.

If you find out anything let me know,

SD :10:
I dove the Firehole last summer. As a kid we would swim there when it wasn't so many people there. I always wanted to dive there but it wasn't allowed. A few years ago I discovered that diving in the Firehole was common by those in Idaho and Montana. I contacted some of those shops to find out more info. Inland Scuba in Idaho Fall, a couple of Shops in Montana, and Teton Aquatic Supply in Jackson gave me info on Firehole and Yellowstone Lake. The Park does not have any commercial operations but diving is allowed. The Park Service even lists Scuba Diving as one of the things to do on their website. I was told that the Park Rangers might ask to see your C-Card. The Firehole swimming hole now has a stairway down to the water and when we went there were several other dives there. Inland Scuba had planned a a dive trip for the next day.

The Montana Shops sent me the following:

"The 1st week in July is not bad for diving the lake-----please remember that the ice has just gone off the lake and spring run-off has not started. I find that the best time to dive Yellowstone is August and September.
Bring your Dry-suit---the water temp is like diving Lake Superior. We also add Argon gas to our suits for that extra warmth.
Yellowstone does not have any facilities for divers---remember you are diving at 8000 feet elv. so you need to know your altitude dive tables. Come prepared with all your equipment and skills---- Can we dive the spires------Yes, you need to check in with the park rangers at Bridge Bay -----you can not anchor a boat in the area. You can swim from shore----- you need your dive flag--- Firehole river----great dive and warm-----about 45 feet deep back in the cave. you can dive the area from your car. Check in with the park ranger in this area------ Another great dive is around Pottes hot spring ---in the West Thumb or the lake-----deep dive Steam Boat point-----also great dive----near the North East end of the Lake-----Lake Hotel ------good shore dive"

I can't remember the shop name but it's easy to find on the internet.

spiderman:
I dove the Firehole last summer. As a kid we would swim there when it wasn't so many people there. I always wanted to dive there but it wasn't allowed. A few years ago I discovered that diving in the Firehole was common by those in Idaho and Montana. I contacted some of those shops to find out more info. Inland Scuba in Idaho Fall, a couple of Shops in Montana, and Teton Aquatic Supply in Jackson gave me info on Firehole and Yellowstone Lake. The Park does not have any commercial operations but diving is allowed. The Park Service even lists Scuba Diving as one of the things to do on their website. I was told that the Park Rangers might ask to see your C-Card. The Firehole swimming hole now has a stairway down to the water and when we went there were several other dives there. Inland Scuba had planned a a dive trip for the next day.

The Montana Shops sent me the following:

"The 1st week in July is not bad for diving the lake-----please remember that the ice has just gone off the lake and spring run-off has not started. I find that the best time to dive Yellowstone is August and September.
Bring your Dry-suit---the water temp is like diving Lake Superior. We also add Argon gas to our suits for that extra warmth.
Yellowstone does not have any facilities for divers---remember you are diving at 8000 feet elv. so you need to know your altitude dive tables. Come prepared with all your equipment and skills---- Can we dive the spires------Yes, you need to check in with the park rangers at Bridge Bay -----you can not anchor a boat in the area. You can swim from shore----- you need your dive flag--- Firehole river----great dive and warm-----about 45 feet deep back in the cave. you can dive the area from your car. Check in with the park ranger in this area------ Another great dive is around Pottes hot spring ---in the West Thumb or the lake-----deep dive Steam Boat point-----also great dive----near the North East end of the Lake-----Lake Hotel ------good shore dive"

I can't remember the shop name but it's easy to find on the internet.

Where did you dive the Firehole. If diving other places is possible I'd be interested. I'd probbaly have to get my skills "improved" a little more than they are now but I'd love to dive yellowstone lake. By commerical operations I meant something like video production companies and scientific expeditions. Great to see they acutally post diving as a activity to do in the park.

If you go post or PM me how your dive is. It sounds exciting.

Laters,

SD

SD40T-2:
Where did you dive the Firehole.
Near Madison Jct. there is a one-way road along the firehole river called Firehole Canyon Drive. Near the end of the road there is a well known and popular swimming hole. The Park Service has made improvements there like a stairway down to the river and some restrooms along the road. The river has a couple of sharp turns there and the depth is about 32 feet. My 13 year old son and I dove there last year and it was great fun. Here is an interesting website about yellowstone diving: http://www.sandiasnorkel.com/places/pla-c_17.htm.

Due to some unexpected changes we won't be going up this summer so my chance to dive Yellowstone lake will have to wait. My son isn't ready to dive in such cold water so I was looking for someone else to join me. But now the whole trip is off. Thanks for responding.

I am very interested in diving Yellowstone Lake this summer. Let me know when you will be available. I work out of Gull Dive Center in Missoula and I hope to have a shop trip to Yellowstone at some point in July or August. Shoot me an email at josef.crepeau@mso.umt.edu

Scratch that...I actually finished reading your last post after I posted. The offer is still good for a future date.

Joe

DivemasterJoe:
I am very interested in diving Yellowstone Lake this summer. Let me know when you will be available. I work out of Gull Dive Center in Missoula and I hope to have a shop trip to Yellowstone at some point in July or August. Shoot me an email at josef.crepeau@mso.umt.edu

Scratch that...I actually finished reading your last post after I posted. The offer is still good for a future date.

Joe
Thanks for the post. I'll contact you when were are able to make the trip.

In august- september you can easily dive in a two peice 7mm. If your diving from shore and you want to get some depth lake hotel probably isn't the place to be. It stays shallow, 20-30' , for a long ways. It is a neat dive though. The old boat launch works are still there, ie. the timbers and rail tracks. there is a lot of cool debry lying around, but remember it is a National Park and you can not take anything. including debry. Yesterdays trash yes, trash pre???? no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom